Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbutrfly11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 04:34 AM
    "OVER-STAY" and Marriage
    If you came to the USA on a tourist B1/B2 visa, which is only good for 6 months and have remained in the US on "over stay" for the past 3 years, and you want to marry an American, can that person get a Green Card by marrying the American citizen? Is being on overstay Illegal? They did come to the USA LEGALLY. Are they then eligible for Citizenship after they get the Green card. They also have a minor child-what would his status be?
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Jun 7, 2009, 01:48 PM

Yes, an overstay of an I-94 creates unlawful presence, rendering that person deportable.

The good news is that INA section 245(a) allows for spouse of a USC to adjust status. This section waives the inadmissibitly ground of overstay and unauthorized employment.

After LPR status granted, and if meets the othe requirements, can apply for citizenship.

Child is not material to the case other than to prove up the bona fides of the marriage. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fill out the "entry date" and "Length of stay" of W-7 form? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My parents first entered US in Sep 2007, and then left in Jan 2008; then re-entered in Feb 2008, and left in Aug 2008. How to fill out the "entry date" and "Length of stay" of W-7 form for this? 1) for "Entry Date", which entry date should be used? 2) for "Length of stay", I need to...

When unduring a huge break-up, what ways can you stay mentaly "healthy"? [ 4 Answers ]

Frizzles foshizzles? I'm pulling an ice cream tub moment right now.

WE had a rough relationship, should I stay or go? "Long topic" [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I don't really know where to start, all I know is that I just need some advice on what to do in a break. I guess I'll start from talking about me and my gal's relationship from the beginning. We had very different life styles, she has a very closed in life style where her dad is very strict...

View more questions Search