Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 10:55 PM
    Acts of kindness.
    I'm looking for suggestions of random acts of kindness, the more anonymous, the better. I'm not looking for thanks, recognition, or attention. It's for personal growth, spirituality, and to help my two young sons learn that a helping hand is needed by many, especially the less fortunate.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 11:15 PM

For 1 year I mowed our elderly neighbors lawn in the summer and shoveled her driveway in the winter because I knew she couldn't do it. Eventually she caught me, but I managed to do it without her knowing for 1 year. She moved away, so of course I stopped. ;)

My husband and I once went to the local coffee shop and gave the waitress $20, asked her to give free coffee to the next 10 people that came. Then we sat outside and watched. It was great to see the smiles on their faces.

That's all I've got.

I love your plan. We do little things throughout the year but sadly most of them aren't as anonymous as we'd like.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 02:45 AM

I was driving in Nigeria which is situated in west Africa I saw a little girl begging for money I gave her 1000 naira which is the equivalent to 10 usd, she was so happy, I told her she is beautiful and she should go to school and not be on the streets begging for money, she ran excitedly to her mother and I saw through my side mirrors the moms joy as she gave her the money. One of the best feelings I've ever had.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 05:09 AM

Pick a group of people that you want to help and do some volunteering!

I used to volunteer at a hospital, mostly for elderly care. My brother volunteered at a children's hospital and we compared notes. Elderly care is more for people who are too old to live at home and do not have a family member watching them 24/7. In the children's hospital, it's mostly handicapped children.

Because you have two children and want to set a good example, then maybe consider volunteering at a children's hopsital. To show your children how fortunate they are and how they should treat people their own age.

As they get older, then shift your volunteer focus on something more age appropriate so that they can relate.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:02 PM

voluntering and the elderly is a great combination.
    I use to go out of my way to help people and the younger ones just take you for granted and get to the point of using you. Then they act like you owe it to them.
    Random and anonymous is the best way to go if it is not helping the elderly at an old age home or recreation center or a hospital.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:07 PM
    My family has had a tradition for the past 5 or 6 years. At Christmas time we all (about 20 of us) contribute money to the pot - whatever we can afford - and use it to have oil delivered to needy families in our community.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    Pick a group of people that you want to help and do some volunteering!

I used to volunteer at a hospital, mostly for elderly care. My brother volunteered at a children's hospital and we compared notes. Elderly care is more for people who are too old to live at home and do not have a family member watching them 24/7. In the children's hospital, it's mostly handicapped children.

Because you have two children and want to set a good example, then maybe consider volunteering at a children's hopsital. To show your children how fortunate they are and how they should treat people their own age.

As they get older, then shift your volunteer focus on something more age appropriate so that they can relate.
    Hey Wish, I have to spread the rep, but your ideas would be great life lessons for kids!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:10 PM

Hi, jmjoseph!

How old are your sons, please?

Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:11 PM

Yeah at Christmas it is so easy to find things.
    At least where I live K Mart and many places have a tree that you pick a needy family to help and the food banks are looking for Christmas donations. The Marine Corp collects toys.
    Also some bike clubs will do runs to raise help for some cause or another.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 06:36 PM
    Clough, My sons are 4 and 7. The oldest is in cub scouts and will be doing community volunteering, but I want them to want to do things individually also. I'm really trying to teach them manners also.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 09:31 PM
    I think that being kind is the best 'random act of kindness' we can possibly learn.

It means treating everyone we meet with generosity of spirit.
    It means not judging others by their looks, race, religion or wealth.
    It means not finding fault with others, but genuinely trying to think the best of people.
    It means considering others, listening to others and liberating ourselves from our constant self focus.

If you can teach this to your sons, real kindness will permeate their lives as they grow and mature, and their lives and the lives of others will be spiritually and emotionally enriched.

What more could you ask for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stressed out and need some words of kindness [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, my boyfriend just turned himself in on a warrant... which was issued today, and he turned himself in today. I know you're supposed to answer and ask questions on here, but I need to talk to someone who has had their significant other arrested... I'm feeling so much right now, and it sucks...

Random acts of kindness! [ 74 Answers ]

Hi all! I thought it might be interesting to hear stories about "random acts of kindness" from everyone. Something you did for someone? Something someone did for you? Something you saw someone do for someone else? It doesn't matter how big or small... or how insignificant it might seem. ...

Taking Kindness for weakness [ 1 Answers ]

3 weeks ago I got a call from my best friend who is not in the country. He tells me his loser of a step son is being thrown out and would I be able To find him a temporary place. I decide to take the kid in. I would not charge rent and their was no agreement.I figure kids is down on his luck....

Flood her with kindness? [ 5 Answers ]

I got engaged a few weeks ago and I'm really excited! Unfortunately my fiance's sister has a problem with me and I am not quite sure how to handle the situation... See, we used to be friends, but now I can tell she is purposely trying to be rude to me. She won't come straight out and say rude...

View more questions Search