Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Is private writing in pencil on first page in a book called "Dedication" ?
    I need to know what is the proper name for... when somebody writes ( in pencil ) in a book a short message on the inside of the cover in which they say something like: " From Smith Family to Browns! ( dated and signed ) Paula and Paul Smith". ( Somebody told me it is a "dedication" but I have a feeling it is called differently ). Thanks!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 08:38 PM
    "Dedication" means that you dedicate the book , its authorization and publication itself to a person or persons. You're talking about an inscription and signature. This sounds like just a gift inscription, not even from the author, just the giver.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 08:43 PM

That is the right word. Your probably thinking of the word inscription.

Sarah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet explorer status bar shows "waiting for." message, page doesn't load [ 9 Answers ]

This has been happening for some time, it seems to fix itself but it pops up just when I need to find something on the web, for example. Basically, I start my Internet Explorer, it shows in the address bar my homepage, and my status bar immediately show up the "waiting for" message.sometimes, it...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Grammer of "private mode" in court for "LIBERTY" [ 3 Answers ]

What statement do I make in court to start a "private" conversation when my"strawman" name is called out to dispute being a material wittness?

About the book called "The Wars" [ 1 Answers ]

It is written by Timothy Findiey Did someone read it? Can you please tell me what this book is about? ( in detail please! ) Emergency.. Thank you very much!

View more questions Search