Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smalltowngirl11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Thriller Dance Steps
    I would really like to learn how to do the dance for "Thriller" by Michael Jackson. I would prefer the instructions to be written rather than in video form because my computer takes forever to load videos. However, the only instructions I can find are video demonstrations.

Can anyone help?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 05:42 PM

○ WALK FORWARD, POINT, WALK BACK, POINT
    ○ Walk forward R-L-R
    ○ Point L to left side while extending R arm straight up clenched fist
    ○ Lower right arm, Walk back L-R-L
    ○ Touch R to right side while extending L arm straight up clenched fist
    ○ VINE LEFT, UPPERBODY ROCKS
    ○ Lower R arm and cross step R over L, Step L to left side
    ○ Step R behind left
    ○ Point L to left side
    ○ while extending left arm straight out to left "fingers pointed out" and hold left arm out to left and keep looking to left for next 4 counts
    ○ Keep feet on floor, but shifting weight; move upper body sideways L-R-L-R
    ○ WEAVE RIGHT, 1/4 TURN RIGHT (CW)
    ○ Lower left arm while cross step L behind right, Step R to right side
    ○ Cross step L over right, Step R to right side
    ○ Cross step L behind right
    ○ Step R while turning 1/4 turn right (CW)
    ○ Step L beside right
    ○ Touch R toe beside left (keep right heel raised)1-4
    ○ SHOULDER SHRUGS, MOONWALK****
    ○ Keeping right heel raised; raise L shoulder while lowering R shoulder
    ○ Raise R shoulder while lowering L shoulder
    ○ Raise L shoulder while lowering R shoulder
    ○ Raise R shoulder while lowering R shoulder
    ○ With right heel raised Drag R toe back as you step back
    ○ (as you step back, R heel lowers pop L heel off floor)
    ○ With left heel raised; Drag L toe back as you step back
    ○ (as you step back, L heel lowers pop R heel off floor)
    ○ Repeat "moonwalk" steps 5-6
    ○ SHIMMY RIGHT, SHIMMY LEFT, ALA DOWN & DIRTY
    ○ Step R to right side, Shimmy, Shimmy, Touch L beside right
    ○ Step L to left side, Shimmy, Shimmy, Touch R beside left

Taken from: ListAfterList.com - How to do the Thriller Dance? Step-by-Step

Good luck!

Sarah
    MJDisneyDork Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 02:23 PM

... that's not the right thriller dance?. moonwalk?. he doesn't do the moonwalk... are you trying to do the billie jean dance from motown 25.. that doesn't sound right either... I'm not trying to be mean! I'm just confused.. hmm

It's hard to describe the dance because so much of it is in michael's footwork... the best way I learned is watching his feet first many times and every time he moved a foot, tap your hand on a desk so you get the beat of every time a foot moves...

But first you need to know that if you're dancing to the song, the music was made special for the video, so if you do the real song the dance isn't going to match up in the end just right but it's all good.

We'll do a four beat.

1234 head twich 234 twich2twitch4. And immediately turn to the side arms extended and do a quick pelvic thrust facing the "audiance". Do that for four quick beats. Then step out, facing inward (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about if you watch the video) do that for 4 more counts, face out again and step forward. Repeat those two steps. Each a 4 count (the beat is really fast) then do the arm sweeping forward slight facing the left side while arms sweeping down from the air (4 counts) then facing the same direction sweep arms down in front of you. Turn body to the right diaganal corner and do it again. (this is where footwork is important). Do a quick triple step to the right. Right foot moves out left foot meets right foot and right foot immediately moves out further. Then throw head back. Make sense? Then do a little bounce moovement to your right knee. One two three and on four your head and right arm goes towards right knee while left knee turns out. Immediately bounce up face over your left shoulder for a count then face audience with right arm extended forward whiel body is facing left. This part watch the video go get the timing. You'll do a slow hip bounce while flicking the wrist in beat. You'll do this three times and on the fourth slide feet together, extend arms into the air and clap. Step out with left foot, go low and slide right foot in to meed left foot. Stomp right foot down at meeting, shrug, look over right shoulder, clap and go back to the right doing the same thing. Instea of doing the last clap though, shimmy forward (again watch video for timing) in pattern steps, turn right with a cat like stature, hunch down real fast and bring up "zombie arms" with you too look like a cat fixing to attack haha. Turn and face over left shoulder real fast still in this stance. Then face forward. This all happens real fast. Take right leg and kick it behind the left and sweep it back down to the right going STRAIGHT into a knee wooble bringing you from left so you end up leaning more to the right then kick left foot in to meet the right and kick it back out while extending your right arm directing parallel to the ground bending your head to the right as well. Now do the knee wobble to the left and this time throw your left hand straight down and turn your face real fast to face upward to the right. This is when the famous zombie step comes in. raise your hands in the zomblie claw formation haha and step one ,two, turn back and fourth three times so you end up facing the opposite direction and do that step again. Facing forward immediately hop in the air then go straight into the hip bend where you bend at the hips and spin your upper body around like.. well, like a lasso. Haha. Keep arms in the air when you do this. When your body reaches your back right side stop and shimmy down to your left side, back up, and back down again. When you get back up bend your right arm at your waist. Throw your right shoulder back, up and back again. Then quickly spin back to face the back and do it again. Then spin to the front again bringing your right arm to do a typical 80's fitness arm reach over above your head to the left side. Stretch to the left drop your right arm and swing it around to the front and bring up your left arm so you briefly look as if you're playing air guitar then drop your arms but continue with the side hip thrust to your left (body leaning to the right) do that for a short beat than lean to the left with your right arm in the air going back and fourth (you'll understand what I mean when you do it with the video) then crouch down facing the right, grab the air then bring your hand in and thrust your hips out as ifyou're meeting an invisible force with your hips. (otherwise.. like you're humping an invisible board once) lol. The quickly turn the left frantically grabbing at the air a few time then grab one knee and the next to end up in a squating position facing the audience. Stand up straight and start doing a shoulder twitch over the right shoulder to eventually have your body facing the back... that part is easy to see how he does... after that you're on your own. That's when "michael jackson" steps in with his crazy quick feet. You can learn how to do it but his feet move too fast to mimick his EXACT movements so there you have it.. hope it helps. Keep beat and it all goes pretty easy.

Jul 4, 2009, 02:29 PM

Let me know if you get confused on a part, I'll try to disect it better for you :D but remember I'm not dance pro. Michael's got the moves so watch him! Lol but PLEASE.. learn the REAL thriller dance.. everybody is learning these FAKE dances nad it drives me nutz! Lol :D

Jul 4, 2009, 02:34 PM
    oh sorry. I forgot you said you can't load videos.. so it'll be hard to do it with the video... if you have itunes and 1.99 you can buy the video... or... maybe go to walmart and buy the number ones DVD collection... it's worth it! Haha... I get lost in the beats though so it's hard for me to count out every last beat for you. :\. Sorry. Maybe if you do it at a friends house using these instructions and watchign the video then you can get down the basics.. after that you can use this to practice at home. I don't know what else to tell you :( sorry. Good luck though ^_^
    EssenceX123 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 05:03 AM

This is complicated... y not download the vedio from YouTube and.. thts it..
    smalltowngirl14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 03:21 PM

Look I have a project due in two weeks and we have to make a dance well I chosse thriller but we have to make it up are selfs!! Well I'm sooooo not a dancer and I sooooo can't dance I really need some help on how to make one could someone help me at making one please??
    KIARASTREET Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 08:16 AM
    I do not know how to do well.
    angel faith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 04:09 AM
    Thriller Dance Steps
    This post is for the ladies in my ward helping me out with Thriller. Here is a written version of the dance steps. I'm sure they're confusing--Hopefully it'll be more clear the more we practice.

THRILLER DANCE STEPS (from Sept. 16th)

*Step Right, Left 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Shoulder shrugs
    *Step right left, shoulder shrug right, head drop to shoulder 1 2 3 4 shoulder shrug 5 6 shoulder shrug 7 and 8.

Monster Walks Left and Right
    *Step right, facing right, arms teed, hand flick 1 2 step together flick 3 4, repeat 5 6 7 8.
    Step right side, together with monster arms, head thrown back 1 2, repeat 3 4.
    Repeat on left side, step left side, together with monsters arms head thrown back 5 6, repeat 7 8.

Slide Right, Pivot Sequence
    *Right step, left together right, throw back head 1 and 2, right step left together chest rests on knee 3 and 4, pivot to left 5, pile 6, snap up 7, snap down 8.

The Egyptian
    *Clap overhead (feet come together) 1, slap sides 2, slide right with Egyptian head 3 4 5, left step in 6, shoulders up 7, shoulders down on And, head flip right 8, head flip front on And.. .
    Repeat The Egyptian Left
    *Clap overhead 1, slap sides 2, slide left with Egyptian head 3 4 5, right step in 6, shoulders up 7, shoulders down on And, head flip left 8, head flip front on And.. .

Monster Walk with Swing
    *Monster hands up, walk right crossover left, repeat 1 2 3 monster hands swing left 4 swing right 5 swing left 6, crossover right 7, step left 8 swing right 1 left 2 right 3 crossover left 4, step right 5 swing left 6, swing right 7, swing right 8.
    Right arm up 1, down to side with pile 2, swing around with left foot and left shoulder shrug forward 3 4 5 6 until facing back, head flip over left shoulder 7, head flip back 8.

Monster Lunges
    With hands on bent knees, step (toward back of stage) starting with left foot, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dance Studios - more empahsis on dance or business [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding dance studios. I would like a sincere answer from someone who either owns or knows someone well who does own their own dance studio. It has been my experience that studios will put more emphasis on business rather than dance. The reason for this is I have seen good...

Charlie brown dance steps> [ 2 Answers ]

How do you do the charlie brown dance steps?

Charlie Brown dance steps [ 1 Answers ]

What's the charllie brown?

View more questions Search