Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veliko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Looking for the right escutcheon
    Hi, my wife is driving me crazy. The chrome escutcheon in one of our bathtubs need to be changes to a brushed nickel or aluminum. It is 2 tiles long by 1 tile high (4 inch tiles in bathtub wall) and is for the hot and cold water valves. Does anyone know where I can find this? PLEASE, SHE'S DRIVING ME CRAZY! Thanks much! Veliko [email protected]
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 5, 2009, 04:11 PM
    A picture would be nice. Regards, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 04:14 PM

Yes a pic would help very much, also brand of fuacet.
    veliko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 06:22 AM

Thanks for helping me out here guys.
    I have 3 pictures of what I'm looking for. Sory but the sizes were too big so I just created a link to one om my sites.
    There are no markings (other than H and C) so I have no idea on the brand.
    ANY help is greatly appreciated!
    Veliko

http://www.iwanttopayless.com/escutcheon/DSCI1033.JPG

http://www.iwanttopayless.com/escutcheon/DSCI1032.JPG

http://www.iwanttopayless.com/escutcheon/DSCI1031.JPG
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2009, 07:25 AM
    No brand name makes it difficult for us. Are you in the US? Any of you experts ever run into this before? You may have to pull the plate and take it in to be chromed. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by veliko View Post
    Thanks for helping me out here guys.
    I have 3 pictures of what I'm looking for. Sory but the sizes were too big so I just created a link to one om my sites.
    There are no markings (other than H and C) so I have no idea on the brand.
    ANY help is greatly appreciated!
    Removing the trim and having it replated would be one option.

Another option would be to replace the rough-in valve and purchase a Delta, Moen or Symmons remodel/conversion plate

I can't think of the Delta or Symmons part numbers for Brushed Nickel offhand, but the Moen plate is a 1920BN
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Growler, The remodel plate you suggest, (see images ) won't work on this valve. This is a two handles valve that will take a exact replacement. Unless he can come up with a brand name and model number his best bet is to take it in and have it chromed. Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Growler, The remodel plate you suggest, (see images ) won't work on this valve. This is a two handles valve that will take a exact replacement. Unless he can come up with a brand name and model number his best bet is to take it in and have it chromed. Regards, Tom
    I didn't say it would work with his current valve, Tom -- I said he would need to replace the rough-in valve.

It's called a remodel/conversion plate because it allows you to replace a 2 or 3 handle valve with a single handle valve without having to enlarge the current opening beyond the footprint of the current valve.

As for the current valve -- It looks like a 60's-70's era valve from Central Brass.

If it is, the chrome is likely plated onto a nickel base, which should make stripping it and plating it with a new nickel finish that can be burnished/brushed fairly straightforward.

Not cheap, but fairly straightforward.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Sorry! I misunderstood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot remove escutcheon or stem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 8 inch widespread faucet (two) and both of them have porcelain handles with no button, they left one of each faucet is loose and out... I am trying to replace handles, but stems also seem worn and if used they leak, these faucets are at least 10 years old. How do I know if the stem...

Removing escutcheon [ 1 Answers ]

I am fixing a widespread two handle faucet in the bathroom. Manufacturer Phylrich. Have removed the handle - have a conical escutcheon with top of step sticking out, nothing else. Escutcheon doesn't budge - any suggestions? Can you also tell me what is it supposed to do - screw off (and if so,...

Removing escutcheon from basin to replace washer [ 18 Answers ]

We have several dripping taps (faucets) in the house and want to replace the washers. We cannot remove the escutcheons from the basins despite having tried several methods. We've used a "Boa" tool and a shifting spanner (with cloth wrapped around to prevent scratching the chrome), but neither...

View more questions Search