Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elaineshirley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Walking out of marital home
    My husband and I are fighting in front of my disabled daughter and it is very upsetting for her. He won't leave our family home so I am planning on walking out. Will I be able to force him to sell the house or buy me out if I leave?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 12:51 PM

Depends on what state you live in, how quickly and easily you want the divorce to go, how good your lawyer is and how much you are willing to pay your lawyer.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 02:05 PM

There is no way to answer your question at this point because it lacks information. You may not even be entitled to the home at all. It depends on your state laws for community property etc and when the home was purchased.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 09:06 AM

As mentioned we need to know more especially your state, whose name(s) are on the deed to the house, is it still being paid for... thing of that nature. If you are wanting a divorce you should start talking to lawyers and know that each state is different when it comes to what it takes to get a divorce granted. I know mine requires at least three months legal separation or one year (a full 12 months) of informal separation with two different addresses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marital home information during separation [ 3 Answers ]

I am separated from my husband for 2 years with no legal documents filed. Do I have a right to half the income of our home if it were rented? He still wants to live in it. Should I ask for rent money?

Leaving the marital home, what do I need to know? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the UK and soon to be moving out of the marital home. Unfortunately because my husband and I are in an IVA I think we will both end up in bakcruptcy, and we will default o n the mortgage iva etc. Where do I stand legally? Is there anything I need to know/ do, to make it easier on me and...

Can I be forced to leave the marital home [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has left our home with our two sons and is now living with her mother. She told me that she wants me to leave the home, so she can move back in with our children and also wants me to continue to pay the mortgage and all the bills. She is not working and never has since our children were...

Marital home inheritance law [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am married to my present husband since 4 years. We live in California.He has 2 grown up children from his past marriage. My question is , Will the home we live in still belong to me in the event of my spouse passing away? OR do his kids also have a share in our home. P.S we live ion this...

Keeping the marital home due to desertion [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has moved out of our marital and home and in with his girlfreind does this mean I can keep the house on grounds of desertion

View more questions Search