Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rene48 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Employer owes overtime
    My former employer never pays overtime. They are a small, family business who pays only cash for OT, as well as improper business practices as cash sales undeclared etc. My brother still is there and is owed years of correct OT- I told him to report them to IRS, and Labor but he knows he will be in trouble too. I think they need to be reported- the business is closing next year, the property has been sold, and there will be no recourse after it is sold. Whatshould I do? This is in NYS. Thanks:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 01:11 PM
    Not every business has to pay overtime, you need to explain in more detail. Here is a list from the federal government site that explains some of it

The following are examples of employees exempt from both the minimum wage and overtime pay requirements:

Executive, administrative, and professional employees (including teachers and academic administrative personnel in elementary and secondary schools), outside sales employees, and certain skilled computer professionals (as defined in the Department of Labor's regulations); 1

Employees of certain seasonal amusement or recreational establishments;

Employees of certain small newspapers and switchboard operators of small telephone companies;

Seamen employed on foreign vessels;

Employees engaged in fishing operations;

Employees engaged in newspaper delivery;

Farm workers employed on small farms (i.e. those that used less than 500 "man‑days" of farm labor in any calendar quarter of the preceding calendar year); and

Casual babysitters and persons employed as companions to the elderly or infirm.
    The following are examples of employees exempt from the overtime pay requirements only:

Certain commissioned employees of retail or service establishments;

Auto, truck, trailer, farm implement, boat, or aircraft salespersons employed by non‑manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers;

Auto, truck, or farm implement parts‑clerks and mechanics employed by non‑manufacturing establishments primarily engaged in selling these items to ultimate purchasers;

Railroad and air carrier employees, taxi drivers, certain employees of motor carriers, seamen on American vessels, and local delivery employees paid on approved trip rate plans;

Announcers, news editors, and chief engineers of certain non‑metropolitan broadcasting stations;

Domestic service workers who reside in their employers' residences;

Employees of motion picture theaters; and

Farmworkers.
    Certain employees may be partially exempt from the overtime pay requirements. These include:

Employees engaged in certain operations on agricultural commodities and employees of certain bulk petroleum distributors;

Employees of hospitals and residential care establishments that have agreements with the employees that they will work 14‑day periods in lieu of 7‑day workweeks (if the employees are paid overtime premium pay within the requirements of the Act for all hours worked over eight in a day or 80 in the 14‑day work period, whichever is the greater number of overtime hours); and

Employees who lack a high school diploma, or who have not completed the eighth grade, who spend part of their workweeks in remedial reading or training in other basic skills that are not job‑specific. Employers may require such employees to engage in these activities up to 10 hours in a workweek. Employers must pay normal wages for the hours spent in such training but need not pay overtime premium pay for training hours.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2006, 01:16 PM
    As Chuck points out, not every position is subject to OT. But since the company is closing and I assume, your brother will be out of a job then, I would not let this go. Go to your local NYS Dept of Labor office and talk to a counselor there. They can advise whether you have a valid grievance or not.

P.S. The IRS doesn't necessarily have jurisdiction here. They would only be involved if the company was not paying the correct taxes. However, if they aren't paying valid OT, then they may not be reporting the correct Social Security and Medicaid taxes.

Oct 8, 2006, 01:38 PM
    Your thoughts did help. This industry does require OT, they just do not to save money.
    I think I must report them to the IRS since I know they do not report all sales. You see, they brag about what they do and with what they get away.
    Businesses that do this hurt us all.
    I wanted to do this with anonymity, so I will write a letter to NYS dept of labor and the IRS- online requires a name, and I do not want trouble from them- only that they get reviewed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 02:21 PM
    Yes, I will note that if they have been paying overtime in "cash" then you need to have been reporting that overtime on your income also. If not as they investigate that they were not paying proper overtime, they will also match up the fact that many people have received cash payments and not paid income tax on those money also.

I have seen ( first hand) in a company in OK where employess turned in an company for certain pay violations and the employees ended up owing and being hurt the worst.

So as he reports them, for all the cash he received as OT, will or needed to have been also declared as income, if not he may find himself owing the IRS not only the tax but fines and penalties for not declaring the income.

Not saying you should not report them, but know what can or could happen

Oct 9, 2006, 01:56 PM
    POINT WELL TAKEN! Opening a Pandora's box may not be good- one day someone will slip and that will be that! Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend who owes me money wants to evict me [ 3 Answers ]

I have lived with my girlfriend for eight years. The house is in her name, and I pay her a monthy rent, plus half of utilites and other such expenses. She is also a student, and I have loaned her significant ammounts of money over the past four years, to help with her school expenses. ...

Hosed By Employer- Please Help [ 3 Answers ]

This is my first post. Please excuse any errors. I am in Central Illinois I have been in the plumbing and heating wholesale supply business all my life ( approx 30 years) I had an opportunity to work for a manufacture's representative who had very good lines, quit my job and went to work for...

401K Overtime [ 2 Answers ]

Just a query as to how a company with a 401K plan can manipulate the plan so that an hourly employee's contributions are limited to a 40 hour work week and overtime earnings are not considered or calculated into their contributions? This doesn't seem to be a fair practice to me. Anybody know of the...

Employer paid too much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about vested interests. My former employer paid me 100% of the vested interest in my 401K instead of 40%. I was unaware of this at the time and I am still not sure it is in fact true as the dollar amount they say they paid me does not match my records. I just received a letter...

View more questions Search