Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Enana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 01:18 AM
    Can I sign a lease without credit history?
    Hi there!

Firstly, I want to thank you in advance for taking into consideration my request. I am new in this page and frankly, it is been a relief to have found it!

I am going to move soon to California for 6 months. I am from Germany and I am going with a Worker´s Visa status.

It is been very difficult to find a place to stay from here but I finally found something/someone very nice! And I would have my own room in a very beautiful shared house. The problem is that they ask me to sign a lease for one year and in case I do not stay longer than six months, I could find someone to take over my part of the lease.

What are my responsibilities?

I know, I have to talk about it with the landlord but I am asking here about general terms to know a little about the situation and my rights... Because in my country, it is not legal to do so (subletters) although a lot of people do it, mostly students...

And the main question is: Can I sign a lease without credit history??

Thank you very much in advance!
    Best,
    Laura
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jun 5, 2009, 01:50 AM

Unless I misunderstand your question, you can sign the lease without a credit history so long as the landlord is not bothering with a credit check I believe. If they are not asking for your social security number to do a credit check then they are not concerned with it. Usually landlords do credit checks but maybe not in your given situation. Some will look at "no credit history" as bad credit so you'll have to get that part straight with your prospective landlord. I'm not so sure though about signing a one year lease if you already know that you are not staying longer than 6 months. Unless you already know someone that you will sublet it to. You don't want any problems being that you'll be locked into a lease. See what the exact terms are and what the LL says if you can't find someone after 6 months. More importantly, carefully read everything in that lease, especially the fine print, before signing it. And sit tight here. Some experts will be along to answer your question too. Best of luck to you and welcome aboard here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to report my lease history to credit bureaus [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a company out there that reports my lease agreement and payment history to the three reporting agencys or is there a contact number and fee that me and my landlord can report it opurselves? Its my largest credit responsibility that I pay and pay well. I deserve to get credit for it. ...

Getting out of a lease co-sign [ 2 Answers ]

I agreed to co-sign a one year lease on an apartment for my girlfriend. Now, we are no longer together. Is there any way to get me out of being the co-signer?

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Name on Lease but did not sign [ 2 Answers ]

I live in VA. Two other tenets signed the lease. I stayed there a couple of weeks. I left the house but now the landloard is saying I am responsible to pay for some rent. My name was on a lease but I have not signed it am I obligated to the house.

Did not sign lease [ 6 Answers ]

Someone added me to there lease as a occupant and I DID NOT sign any lease. Well now the person didn't pay as agreeded on there signed lease and the credit company is holding me responsible, what can I do about this? I have a copy of the lease and I am listed as a occupant but at the bottom of the...

View more questions Search