Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glitter Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 12:35 AM
    Good moisturizer for dry skin.
    I have dry skin, and also I have stretch marks(which I'm in the process of looking for something that will remove them) and I don't want anymore so I heard the best way to prevent them is to hydrated and moist, I have used a few lotions over the years which does nothing! Can anyone tell me some good ones? My body is really dry especially my legs.

Please!

Thanks
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

Jun 5, 2009, 01:00 AM

I'm an Oil of Olay gal but it sounds like you need something a lot stronger. Avon puts out a very good moisturizer for severely dry skin. Vaseline instensive care is OK too but have you tried Lubriderm? Also, and this is going to sound yucky but at night, a little oil before you go to sleep. You actually rub cooking oil on your skin. Olive oil is the best but also expensive so you can try others. Not too much though. You can also take certain vitamins that may help. I'm also a believer in plain ole Vaseline under your makeup, right after a shower, and before bed as well. Use this if the oil sounds like too much for you. It can be messy to sleep like that but it does work. Make sure you're not too sensitive to it if you do decide to try oils. My mom for years has been using Johnson's Baby oil every day right after her shower or bath WHILE you still have some water on your skin. This will hold even more moisture in your skin. So just pat dry but do not dry yourself completely after bathing or showering. Also, don't use regular soap. Use a good cream or oil based wash. There's even some very good ones at the good ole dollar stores if you have one near you. Diet is important too. And of course drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated helps. Good luck and write back if you see any improvement.

Jun 5, 2009, 01:15 AM
    Thank you so much... I have been using Vaseline instensive care for many years now but nothing.
    I am using eucerin as of now but I will try the baby oil after taking a shower and then I will put on my eucerin cream hopefully this will work. And I haven't been using soap for over 6 months now, I'm using body wash. And maybe I will even put the olive oil on before going to bed.( I really want to get ride on my dry skin and Stretch marks and I don't want any more so I'm going to try anything.. gotta go shopping tomorrow.. lol)

Thank you so much for the help!

Jun 5, 2009, 02:12 AM

You're quite welcome and I hope it works. Funny, I just used Vaseline intensive care not even an hour ago and my hands are pretty dry. Hmmmmm. But anyway, thank you because I forgot about good ole Eucerin. And do check out those good oil based or moisture packed body washes. Oil base is usually best for me. There is actually another good cream but I just can't think of the name right now. Once I find it in my belongings here, I'll let you know. Have fun shopping.
    Smiles at you... T
    Fugue Posts: 14, Reputation: 6

Jun 5, 2009, 04:28 AM
    Well, my first recommendation was going to be Eucerin, but it sounds like you already know about that little treasure.

My other suggestion, which works beautifully, is jojoba oil. It's a cosmetic oil rather than a cooking oil (I believe it's actually more of a liquid wax than an oil, but I hated chemistry so I'll have to take their word for it), and it's preferred because it's very close in composition to the skin oils your body produces. It doesn't clog pores, and if you only use a small amount, it absorbs well. I actually use it on my face - believe it or not, it seems to help prevent the adult acne that I'm forever troubled with, and I've never found a moisturizer that even comes close.

It's a little more expensive than, say, olive oil, but it's worth it as far as I'm concerned. You can get it all over the internet or from health food-type places, but I've always had good luck with Desert Essence brand.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 01:04 PM

Try to moisturize your skin at least three times a day, especially after you bathe. Bathing depletes the moisture in your skin, so replenishing it with moisturizer can help your skin feel better. However, if you use bath salt while your bathing it can reverse dry skin. Bathing in warm water enriched with sea salts is a wonderful way to hydrate and soften dry skin. The nutrients in bath salts work to re-balance your skin cells, while helping your skin.

Besiside moisturizers invest in a humidifier and keep it running all day. This will add more moisture into the air in your home. The moist air will be good for your skin.

Also, try to avoid harsh detergent soaps. Detergent soaps are very drying. Stick with natural, natural oil-based soaps.

Remember dry skin can lead to itchy dry skin so take care of it and I hope you find something that works for you.

Now your stretch marks is another story. They have creams out that that promise to get rid of them but they don't. If anything it just helps lighten them. My friend had a tummy tuck which made her disappear but I wouldn't go that far to get rid of them. I embrace my stretch marks because it isn't going any where.

Jun 24, 2009, 06:25 AM
    Hey I'm not using the olive oil, I'm using baby oil when my skin is still a little wet? And then I use Eucerin... is the baby oil a good choice?

Thanks for the help guys!!

Jun 24, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Hey I'm not using the olive oil, I'm using baby oil when my skin is still a little wet? And then I use Eucerin... is the baby oil a good choice?

Jun 24, 2009, 06:46 AM

deniseb1605 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2009, 12:53 AM
    I have been using olive oil on my legs to help fade my stretch marks, its been like two weeks and I haven't seen a difference in the stretch marks but my skin feels great! You should try olive oil, (not on your face) but on your body.

Jun 28, 2009, 01:44 AM

Hey, let me know what works better or if there is any difference.
    Smiles... T
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 01:51 AM

Water.. drink it. Lots of it everyday. Moistures from the inside out..
    Then use a body scrub to take off dead skin cells,and lash on any of the creams/lotions mentioned..
    But,go for the water.. can't beat it.

Jul 11, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Hey guys thank you so very much for all the help! I have been using baby oil (I let my skin

Air dry and put the baby oil on while my skin is still damp) and then I put on Eucerin n ,y

Skin is still dry... I will use the extra virgin olive oil the same way I use the baby oil and then put on the Eucerin body cream.

Once again Thanks for the help!
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Sep 2, 2009, 04:51 AM
    Try using sweet almond oil. It is really good and if you massage your skin with the oil for two weeks you will notice the difference. It is much much better than oilve oil as it is quickly absorbed by the skin. Many of the moisturizers in the market are using sweet almond oil as base oil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What cleanser and moisturizer is best for oily skin? [ 15 Answers ]

Hello to all, I am using acne aid cleansing bar and I can say, it is effective in cleaning my face but after an hour my face returned to oily condition. I have heard that dermatologist discouraged people to use acne aid bar because it aggrevate acne on face. How true is it? I am also using st....

Suggest for a facial cleanser, moisturizer, toner and mask for oily skin. [ 1 Answers ]

I have combination to oily skin. Not that much problem with acne. I just need a good skin care regimen for oily skin, my skin tends to get more oils from mid noon.. I am using now neutrogena products as deep clean facial cleanser, sensitive skin solution cleansing wash for oily skin, healthy skin...

Good Face Moisturizer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. Every morning I wash my face in the shower and then start with an Aveeno or Avon moisturizer (before applying my makeup), but lately I've been noticing dry spots on my face throughout the day. Does anyone know of a good face moisturizer that I could find at a drug store? Thank you.

Are cucumbers good for your skin? [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that cucumbers are good for your eyes and the skin around your eyes, is it true? If so, how long should I use them for? Thanks! :confused:

View more questions Search