Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kindrake Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 04:42 AM
    Estate claims on a father who gave up parental rights.
    My father gave up parental rights when I was a small child. As a teenager I relocated him and we started a relationship that continued for the next 20 years. He recently passed away with no will. Did his signing his rights away also void any chance of my having a claim to part of his estate?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Hello kin:

Interesting proposition. I would say NO. HE gave up HIS rights to be your parent. YOU didn't give up YOUR rights to be his child.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 06:47 AM
    I am not familiar with any case on law on this, but it would be worth hiring an estate attorney and file a claim with probate if the estate is large enough.

Who are the other people with a claim , current wife, other children??
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Not necessarily. If you can prove that you are his heir (is his name still on your birth certificate?) then you may have a claim to at least a portion of his estate. Consult with a probate attorney for firsthand information.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 9, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Did he allow someone else to adopt you? Any way still challenge the estate as a surviving child, close blood relative... you have rights if your father did not sign you away to someone else...
    kindrake Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 03:18 PM
    My father allowed our stepfather to adopt us when I was 4 years old. I did not see him again until I hunted him out at 17. I maintained a relationship with him for the next 24 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Relinquish parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of North Carolina how does a father voluntary relinquish his parental rights and give all rights to the mother?

View more questions Search