Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kajukenbo55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Hook up dvd, TV, vcr, & dish dvr
    Ok, my DVD player quit so I replaced it. Should have been so easy just to substitute but no. First I have picture on DVD & no sound. Then I have sound but movie plays in black & white. Then I moved a plug & ta-dah it works. Great, I thought I was done. Then the Dish Network DVR & separate VCR no longer work. This goes on for three days as I stare in amazement at it. Then I see a cord that should have been plugged directly from DVR to TV so I moved it & now Dish Network DVD is working & DVD player is working but the VCR does not. What can I do now? Do I need a coaxe cable or that "s" thing or what? Please Help. Thanks, Kajukenbo55
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Jun 4, 2009, 10:59 PM

There is so much variety in features the equipment you describe can have there really isn't very much detail people can provide. There are several types of connections for getting video and audio signals between devices. Some connections are compatible with high definition video, while others aren't. Some devices have multiple sets of connections.

Check with your satellite provider and the various equipment providers for connection diagrams. The diagrams may be in user manuals or in the customer support section of the organization's web site.

Typically you would connect the outputs from a DVD player directly to a TV. A standard definition cable converter or satellite receiver's output would connect to the inputs of a VCR (or comb VCR/DVD player). The output from the VCR (or combo VCR/DVD player) would connect to inputs on the TV. If the cable converter or satellite receiver generates a high definition output and the rcording equipment does not record in high definition you will want to bypass the VCR and connect the high definition output directly to the TV.

Composite video (yellow RCA plug) and S-Video (multi pin plg) are standard definition, S-video is superior. Component can also carry high definition. All three of these type need to be used in combination with stereo audio (red and white) or optical sound cables. HDMI cables carry sound and video signals in digital form. Connect outputs on one device to the matching inputs on the device where you want the signal to go.

It may help to draw the equipments' connector areas on a sheet of paper and use color pencils (or markers) to make your own diagram. You can also mark the cable ends to indicate the device name and type of connection where they go (Example: "TV R Stereo IN").

If there aren't enough inputs on the TV you might need a switch box from your favorite video game store or other consumer electronic retailer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hook up Dish Network to DVD (recorder) VCR and then TV [ 6 Answers ]

I have a DVD recorder, a VCR and I want to be able to hook them up to both record and play on both or either the VCR or DVD. Can you tell me how to hook them up. The DVD reqards another step and that is a RF Modulator . Thanks very much, pulling hair out. Now.

Hook up a VCR to Dish TV so I can record a show? [ 1 Answers ]

I would appreciate it if you could give me a step by step guide on hooking up a standard VCR to a Sony Bravia LCD TV. I just got DISH installed and would like to know where to connect my VCR. I.E> What on the back of the dish receiver do I plug in my vcr coaxial cable. THEN where (VCR) do I run...

Dish network needs to hook up to dvd and TV [ 3 Answers ]

I have no clue on how to hook up the dish network dvd and the TV together. I don't know what I should do. Can Anyone Help?

Can't hook my dish network to HP [ 2 Answers ]

I reccently purchased an HP Pavilion a6177c desktop with an Hauppaugue TV card. The windows media center setup program does not support my set top box AND REPEATED ATTEMPTS HAVE BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL. I have a dish network 322 dish 500 system. The setup will not recognize any of the dish network...

View more questions Search