Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bassam-darwish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Is it true?
    I was reading the Holy Torah and I couldn't understand some parts, and it's maybe because I'm still lost in history. But the story said that in the land of Palestine, God had helped the children of Israel (his children) up with the Canaanite in the war that happened then, and with all the other cities and groups over there, and the only ones that lived on that land (the land of palestine) is just the ken of the 12 children of Jacob. So is it true?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jun 11, 2009, 10:51 AM

Let's start by understanding that Abraham bought that land (the Biblical land of Israel) from Ephron the Hittite. Abraham was actually just interested in buying the Cave of Machpelah to bury his wife, but Ephron wouldn't sell him just the cave. He made Abraham purchase the entire country. This is, in fact, the oldest recorded land sale in history.

Now... approximately 250-300 years later, his great-great- grandchildren returned to the land that he purchased. According to the census of the period, taken at the time that the Israelites re-entered the land, the number of males between the ages of 20 and 50 (military age), fit for service, was roughly 603,550. Extrapolating the number of women, and the number of men below the age of 20 and above the age of 50, and those unfit for service, the total population was roughly between 2 million and 6 million, depending on who's opinion we accept.

So even though we are talking about the descendants of Jacob's 12 sons, we're talking about a LOT of people.

Hope this answers your question.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it true [ 2 Answers ]

My doctor told me I have to lose weight in order to get pregnant is it true he said I have to lose at least 30 pounds??

Hy is this often true? [ 5 Answers ]

In the bible we see that a prophet is not accepted in his home town. What do you thinks is the reason for that? From the New Jerusalem Bible. Matthew 13: 53. When Jesus had finished these parables he left the district; 54. And, coming to his home town, he taught the people in their synagogue...

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

I just have one wish. Can it come true? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a person who never asked for much in my life, and I have done my best to take care of my family, and be a good, loving person. I only want to ask for one thing, my ex boyfriend back. Since we ended 3 months ago, the light has gone out and I find little joy. He sometimes emails me or sends...

View more questions Search