Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andi0816 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 06:58 AM
    Am I related to?
    I know this sounds dumb, but I don't know what the true answer is.

Ok, would I be related to my mothers, nephews wife's, brothers, son?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 4, 2009, 07:19 AM

Sounds like riddle. In general the answer is no, BUT, if it's possible that there is a trick answer here. First the general case: your mother's nephew is your cousin. His wife's brother's son is his wife's nephew. So all this boils down to: your cousin's wife's nephew. Unless there is some blood connection between your cousin and his wife's brother (like if they are cousins, or the girl the wife's brother married is your relative), then the common name for the connection between you and the person in question is your "cousin by marriage once removed." But consider this: if your cousin married one of his cousins, it's possible that the cousin he married is your own sister. Then your sister's brother is you (or one of your brothers), and hence the person in question is your son (or your nephew). Or, if your cousin's wife's brother married your sister, then again his son is your nephew. Lots of possibilities here!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 07:22 AM

Your mother's nephew is your cousin. Your mother's nephew's wife is your cousin's wife. You are related to your cousin's wife only by marriage and nothing beyond that. There's no DNA shared between you (I could make a joke here and say, "unless you come from ___________", but that would not be nice).

You are not related to your mother's nephew's wife's brother (cousin's wife's brother).

You are not related to your mother's nephew's wife's brother son (cousin's wife's brother's son).

There are some legal things involving being related. For example, I am legally related to my wife, even though we are not related by blood (unless I were from ______ -- Oh cut it out!). I'm also legally related to my mother-in-law and her children even though we aren't related by blood. Of the considerations above, where I said you weren't related to them, you aren't related legally to them, either.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Hey you guys are good! I can even focus enough on this to figure it out. I was lost on mothers nephew being a cousin. Good job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are we related? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I just found out that a girl I like has a granny (her mums mum) who is cousins with my granny (my dads mum). Basically would just like to know are we related? Thanks

Car related [ 2 Answers ]

I have a car with a titel pawn loan on it. A friend of mine wanted to take over the payments, a get the car when it is paid off. My friend gave the car to her sister and she was to make the payment. She has only made the interest payments and is giving me a hrd time about renewing the tag.. can I...

Abs related [ 1 Answers ]

How to make my abs muscular. I have a fit and little bit muscular figure. But my abs got lots of fat.I want make it thin and fatless.

MBA Related [ 1 Answers ]

I have done my Masters in English.I want to do my MBA in Human Resources.But,due to my job,I want to do it on part-time basis.Will it help?My current work is not related with HR at all.

Are we related? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been knowing this guy for a while and I really like him. But he has the same last name as my brother (my dad's son). I asked him if he was related to him and he said no, but you really never know these days. So my question is do you know of a way I could find out for sure if I am related to...

View more questions Search