Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Canceling A Contract
    I signed a service contract on Wed. 6/3/09. I am in New Jersey, the other party is in Alabama. I am now regretting entering into the contract.

Is it possible to get out of the contract? If so, what steps must I take and how long do I have?

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2009, 06:17 AM

Read the contract. Some contract do allow for a right of recission after a cooling off period. Or the contract may specify how to terminate it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Thank you for answering, Scott.

The contract reads:

"TERMINATION
    Client may terminate the Agreement upon 10 days written notice to Attorneys without fee or penalty. Attorneys may terminate this Agreement upon 10 days written notice to Client for any reason. Client is hereby notified that cancellation of this contract, whether by the Client or the Firm, terminates the terms and conditions of the contract prospectively from the date of cancellation."

So, I am understanding that I send them a letter saying I want to terminate contract. How do I word this? Do I get it notorized? Do I send it certified?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jun 4, 2009, 06:36 AM
    You don't need to have it notarized but it would definitely be a good idea to send it either certified or by overnight delivery -- anything that requires a signature that they received it.

Just say "I am hereby terminating this agreement, effective 10 days from your receipt of this notice as per the contract."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 4, 2009, 06:46 AM

Told you the contract would have your answer. And I agree with Lisa as to what to do.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Thank you both. I am heading to the post office now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canceling A Used Car Purchase [ 4 Answers ]

If you purchase a used car on 6/7/08 from a dealership and it has been in for mechanical problems 8 days can you cancel the purchase?

Is there a 72 hour rule to canceling a rental lease just signed [ 2 Answers ]

Rule for refund of monies within 72 hours

Disabled and canceling my SSI [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am disabled and unable to work. In fact when I turned 18 I signed up for SSI. I am 28 now. Today I got papers stating they were canceling my SSI because I did not come into a appointment that was made and choose a program. The problem with this was I did not know of any...

Canceling vacation [ 2 Answers ]

I put a deposit down on a cottage with a real estate agent .I tried to cancel 6 weeks before my vacation but was told I would only get my deposit back unless myself or the real estate agent found another person to rent those 2 weeks .my lease does not have a cancellation clause in it .my fault for...

View more questions Search