Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Jun 3, 2009, 07:20 PM
    How to install GFCI outlets by basement bar
    I ran a 20 amp circuit for the outlets on the wall before my bar and for the GFCI outlets above the counter top back-splash of the bar. 7 Outlets total. Do I need all of the outlets to be GFCI or can most of them be regular 20 amp outlets and just the ones within 6 feet of the sink be GFCI? The bar is only 10 ft long with the sink in the center. Or can I just use 1 GFCI outlet for the 1st one of the two on the bar and wire it so that the 2nd one is protected from the 1st one?
    I also used the same circuit to power an outlet above the bar hutch that the hutch lights plug into. Would it have to be GFCI?
    Hope I didn't confuse everyone.
    Thanks for your help.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jun 3, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ermeling View Post
    I ran a 20 amp circuit for the outlets on the wall before my bar and for the GFCI outlets above the counter top back-splash of the bar. 7 Outlets total. Do I need all of the outlets to be GFCI or can most of them be regular 20 amp outlets and just the ones within 6 feet of the sink be GFCI? The bar is only 10 ft long with the sink in the center. Or can I just use 1 GFCI outlet for the 1st one of the two on the bar and wire it so that the 2nd one is protected from the 1st one?
    I also used the same circuit to power an outlet above the bar hutch that the hutch lights plug into. Would it have to be GFCI?
    Hope I didn't confuse everyone.
    Thanks for your help.
    All 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed within 6 ft of wet bar sinks at dwelling units must have GFCI protection for personnel.
    Protecting other receptacles down stream is permitted.

Code says All receptacles. If you have a receptacle that falls within that 6 feet, then I would say yes you would have to protect the outlet above the bar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI outlets and breakers [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling a basement and the power going down comes off a split pole 20 amp breaker with 12/2 wire. I was told I need to install a GFCI. Is it possible to install 1 in the first outlet and the other 5 in line thereafter will be protected as well or would it be better to reeplace the breaker...

GFCI outlets not resetting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a GFCI outlet that will not reset? It was working, then stopped. And now it will not reset. I have placed 3 new outlets in the spot and when I plug something in, it goes from correctly wired to open hot.

GFCI/outlets not working [ 1 Answers ]

After replacing all outlets and GFCI's in kitchen, one new GFCI does not work, the new outlet next to it does work, and the new GFCI on the other side of it does work. It appears to me that the line/load should be correct if the receptacle next door works? Of the two hot wires going to the GFCI...

GFCI Outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quick question and am hoping for an easy answer... I have just remodeled our kitchen and in doing so wanted to have two circuits at the countertop. I ran a 12/3 wire into the first box, tied the reds together and ran the black and neutral through the GFCI. At the second box, I tied...

220 Outlets & GFCI Questions [ 3 Answers ]

I'm wanting to add some 220 outlets in the garage to run my woodworking equipment, and I have a couple of questions. First, can I run one 220 circuit with approximately 4 plugins on it? Only 1 piece of equipment will ever be used at one time (or does this violate code? ). Also, I'm under the...

View more questions Search