Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maria1028 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Installation of ceiling fan
    I want to install a ceiling fan in a room where there's no fan?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 06:41 PM

Is there an existing light fixture that you would remove for the fan? How about any wall switches, got any?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:12 PM

Once again I second Ballenger's answer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 07:15 PM

Ceiling, now that you are here, I am going back to plumbing for the night.
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Jun 3, 2009, 08:00 PM

Maria, that's no problem. Just make sure you brace the electrical box to support the fan. Lowe's and Home Depot sell a metal box with a sliding bar that you stick up inside the hole where your existing light box was (You will have to remove it unless it was planned to have a heavy fixture hanging from it) and adjust it out tight against the ceiling joists/trusses. You'll have to pull the cord to turn the fan on and off unless you want to just have the fan come on every time you turn the light switch on. Hope it goes well.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:15 PM

I'll be gone again starting Sunday :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan installation [ 8 Answers ]

I trying to install a ceiling fan with light combo. The house is "prewired" (5 yrs old). Under the cover/cap ceiling, there are 1 black, 1 white, 1 green, 1 pink. Followed instruction booklet I connect as follow: Fan black and blue to ceiling black Fan white to ceiling white Fan green to...

Ceiling Fan Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay fan to be installed on a 6' droprod to a slanted ceiling I need a canopy large enough to hold the remote receiver and able to let the 3/4 inch droprod swivel through the hole

Ceiling fan installation [ 3 Answers ]

? I have a used ceiling fan with lights and have no idea on how to wire it. I have 3 wires comeing out of the ceiling. Black, white and bare copper. The fan/light assembly has 3 wires black, blue and white. The mounting bracket has 1 green wire and the part the post part has a green wire on it...

Ceiling fan installation [ 3 Answers ]

We just put up a new ceiling fan but it's very noisy and we can't seem to find the problem... any idea's what we did wrong

Ceiling Fan Installation [ 2 Answers ]

We installed a ceiling fan, however, we encountered a little trouble. There are 3 wires coming from the ceiling - black, white & red. We attached the black to black, white to white & capped the red. The ceiling fan works, but the LIGHT on the ceiling fan doesn't. I assume the red wire is for...

View more questions Search