Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Install shelf on plaster and lathe wall
    I would like to install a 16 inch shelf on a plaster and lathe wall that would be strong enough to be used as a desk holding a computer(flatscreen) monitor and keyboard. The room is small so I need the space under the shelf open to accommodate the opening of a futon or small sofa bed. Thanks for any ideas.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 06:48 PM

Are you saying you want this shelf high enough that a futo or bed will slide under it? The plaster and lathe will make find a stud more difficult but you must install anchors or lags into the studs.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 10:36 AM

Home depot has a density finder. It will give u each side of stud.

Use 12'' shelf brackets and 3/16'' lag bolts

Good luck

Chuck

Jun 5, 2009, 10:41 AM

I have had little luck with a stud finder on plaster and lath. If you can open a wall switch or oultet you may find they are mounted to a stud and then just measure 16" each side over and over.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I have had little luck with a stud finder on plaster and lath. If you can open a wall switch or oultet you may find they are mounted to a stud and then just measure 16" each side over and over.
    I agree with u, if contractor knew what he was doing and inspector did their job right. Not always the case.

I owned a house built in 1904 and the studs were set on a progressive lay out. Starting corner and going 16-18-20-18-16.

Went crazy trying to find them.

Chuck

Jun 5, 2009, 11:27 AM

I guess building code and practice has inproved a bit in the last 100 years, never heard of such a lay out. LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removal of old plaster wall [ 4 Answers ]

I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a house built in 1921, therefore the walls are all plaster and lathe. I have a little chimney that handles the exhaust from the heating system in the basement, and it runs the length of the house and up through the roof as per usual. The chimney...

Repairing a plaster wall [ 2 Answers ]

There was a lot of damage to a plaster wall in our house. The botton 4' of the wall is now bare (down to the slats that the original plaster was put on). Any suggestions on how to repair with dry wall and there not being a huge noticeable seam between the two?

Galvanized pipe replace shower& tub valves, adobe house with lathe and plaster walls [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old adobe house, (forty years old), with lathe and plaster and adobe walls. I have galvanized pipes and need to replace the valves in the showers and tub. The stems are not available, (obsolete), what to do? I hired a plumber he ordered the parts then late last night said I should find...

Plaster wall repair [ 2 Answers ]

While on a second coat of fast setting Sheetrock *90*, I have several spots that end up drying with pin holes in quite a consistent pattern. There is probably 10 holes in the size of a dime. Would you have any suggestion to what is wrong? Thank You Very Much

View more questions Search