Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ab5684 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Well water turns off every few minutes
    Hello,
    I have a problem with water pressure on my home well. It is a standard well. I will try to explain problem. When you turn on water from any outlet it will run for about a minute and then completely turn off for about 10 sec. It then comes back on and repeats the cycle after a few minutes. I have not timed it yet so I don't know if it occurs in regular intervals, but I do know that it continues to turn off for about 10 sec. every few minutes. Any thoughts on what the problem is and if it is causing damage would be appreciated.
    Darren Brown
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 06:36 PM

Is it pumping water during the ON time?
    Only Power wires to the motor, or additional control?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 4, 2009, 05:15 AM
    What is a "standard well" anyhow? Is it a submissible? Shallow well jet? What? Any dirt in the water? Is the bladder tank charged correctly? Let's have more details. Tell us what you have. Regards, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 12:33 PM

AB, check a few things.

First, depress the air valve which is probably at the top of your pressure tank for two or three seconds. Does water come out? If so, then the tank is shot and needs to be replaced.

Second, determine your cutin/cutout points. Do this by turning on a faucet, then watch the pressure gauge. At what points do you hear/feel the pump cutting on and then cutting off? Once you know those, then turn off the breaker, drain the system through a low faucet, and check the pressure at the top of your pressure tank with a tire gauge. The pressure there should be 2# below the cut in pressure. So, for example, if the pump cuts on at 30#, then your tank pressure should be set at 28#.

Also, check and see if the system will hold pressure when no water is being used. In other words, let it pump up to the cut off point, then just watch the pressure gauge for a few minutes and make sure it does not drop.

Get back with us once you've done these things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New water heater, hot water in shower only lasts 3 minutes [ 40 Answers ]

I have been in this apartment 6 months and have never been able to have a warm shower longer than 3 minutes. I told my landlord and he replaced the water heater. But that didn't solve the problem. So he had a plumber come over and the plumber said maybe the water heater was defective. But then he...

Hot water in Shower for 2 minutes turns to cold afer. [ 8 Answers ]

We live in a house that is about 30 years old. When we go to take a shower, the water is not hot. It does not even stay lukewarm sometimes. The coil will get hot when you turn on the hot water for a few seconds, then goes cold as if cold water is running through it. What should we do? Using our...

HOT WATER for 3 minutes; then turns COLD [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a condo and have an electric hot water heater. Every time I need to wash clothes or use the dishwasher, the hot water never comes out. However, when I turn the hot water on in the bathroom upstairs in the tub, it will be hot for 2 minutes then turn cold the entire time. The hot water...

Hot water for about 10 minutes [ 1 Answers ]

My shower only stays hot for about 10 minutes, at the most. Do you have any suggestions? By the way, my water heater is electric. Thanks.

Gas Heater Turns and Off every two minutes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Our Gas Heater turns on and then after a short burst stops. I observed that the Gas flames start and stop every two minutes even though temperature that I set on thermostat has not been reached. Is this normal? Over the long run house heats up to the my require heat but I suspect this...

View more questions Search