Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geckonewyork Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Summons served by debt collector
    I'll try to be thorough..

I received a summons from a debt collector stating I owed a $2,200 from a 4 year old hospital bill that I didn't know I owed.. back in April 2005 I was sent a bill for what the insurance didn't cover and it was paid.. I have a money order stub with an odd amount ($165.50) and I'd written paid in full on it.. after this, no other communication for the hospital was ever sent.. I'd even been back to the hospital for other non related issues, and was seen and sent a bill that was also paid.. my point it, if there was a balance or outstanding bill, wouldn't they have brought that up then?

So, after I was hand delivered the summons on May 20, 2009, I sent them a letter stating that I didn't owe this bill and would like to see proof of this debt and also to not contact me again.. that was 14 days ago..

Today in the mail I get another letter from them saying "that upon failure to serve an answer to the complaint, a judgment will be entered against you by default"

Did they break the 'fair trade debt' by contacting me again?
    Do I respond to them?

If they file a judgment, will there still be a court case? Because I was reading your other threads and I'm thinking that if they judge against me, by default, they may just start garnishes wages..

I'm really at a loss as to where to go from here.. I live in New York..
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 10:30 AM

How much was the original bill? You stated that you paid $165.50 and wrote "paid in full" but was that actually the full amount of the bill? Just writing that on the money order doesn't release you from your liability to pay the rest of the invoice.

Send them a certified letter demanding proof of debt; mailing the letter certified will require someone to sign for it and you have proof they received your request.

The only way a default judgment will be entered is if you do not show up for a scheduled court hearing. The collector will have to file in court and have you served with papers. You can then show up in court and argue that the bill was paid - if, in fact, it was. Bring along your receipt(s) as proof.

Jun 4, 2009, 11:21 AM

Thank you for your quick response.. I was worried they could file a judgement against me without a court date..

I will re-send the letter certified

And
    Any bills I had from them I had paid.. as far as I knew then, the 165.50 was what was remaining, and it was paid in full.. they never sent me any other bills after that.. so this $2000 plus bill has me baffled.. if I honestly owe this, this is the first I've heard about it in 4 years..

Thanks again
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 11:38 AM

No problem. Send them the certified letter and let us know what happens! :)

Jun 5, 2009, 10:56 AM

Did they violate the 'fair debt collection practice" ?

[Failure to cease communication upon request: communicating with consumers in any way (other than litigation) after receiving written notice that said consumer wishes no further communication or refuses to pay the alleged debt, with certain exceptions, including advising that collection efforts are being terminated or that the collector intends to file a lawsuit or pursue other remedies where permitted]
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 11:13 AM

No. Unless you specifically told them not to contact you or that you are not going to repay the debt, they can call you and send you letters.

Jun 5, 2009, 12:37 PM

In my short letter to them, I stated I did not owe this debt and to not contact me without proof of this debt.. i.e. - the original bills..

So I will resend this letter, sending it certified and see what happens..
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by geckonewyork View Post
    in my short letter to them, i stated i did not owe this debt and to not contact me without proof of this debt.. i.e. - the original bills..

so i will resend this letter, sending it certified and see what happens..
    I suppose it all depends on how you worded it. If you said "I already paid this bill and do not owe for it" instead of "I am not going to pay this bill", it doesn't mean the same thing. Do you have a copy of the letter you sent stating that you did not owe?

Either way, definitely send a certified letter and take it from there.

Jun 5, 2009, 12:49 PM
    This is what I wrote in the first letter..

"i do not believe i owe this debt you are claiming. i have records to show that i had paid what was asked of me and no further contact was mailed to me. please DO NOT CONTACT me until you have proof of this debt. records of what i had paid and what supposedly is still owing"

And this is what I am thinking of sending them again.. this time certified

"i find your letters to be harassing after i specifically stated that i don't believe i owe this debt and to not contact me again until you have proof of this debt. i.e., the original bills.
    i am also attaching a copy of the first letter i sent you"

And by the way, I really appreciate your feedback.. I wish I'd have asked before I even sent the first letter.. I really want to make sure I'm doing the right thing..
    Thank you
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 01:38 PM

Not a problem; let us know how it turns out. That's one of the most frustrating things, is never knowing if our advice helped or not :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons for 5 yr old debt [ 2 Answers ]

4 yrs ago, I lived in Florida and had 3 credit cards that I always paid faithfully. After the 2 hurricanes that hit one after the other, my rented condo was condemned and everything became very hard financially after that. I used my credit card for hotels and animal kennels and basically became...

Just got a court summons, will debt collector work with me? [ 1 Answers ]

The debt is under 9,000. The thing I found odd was on the very last page was the contact info for the debt collector and even a website where I could make a payment. I would THINK that wouldn't be there if they really wanted me in court to go through with all this. Do you think I can contact the...

Court Summons from Debt Collector [ 14 Answers ]

On Friday, I received a court summons "to answer a complaint from a debt collector" within 30 days. My situation: I have a lot of past due debt, sitting in collection agencies, as a result of a expensive divorce, etc. I am self-employed, have no assets, no house, and live on cash. I don't get a...

View more questions Search