Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Jun 3, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Brake squeal at low speeds
    I have an 05 Dodge Dakota. Replaced pads and rotors last summer. In the past couple weeks I have had heavy brake squeal. This happens intermittently and only at low speeds (less than 25). So I pulled the front tires and prepared to change the pads, but they still have 3/4 life and the rotors look clean (no unique grooves or deep wear), now I am puzzled. Any thoughts out there?
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:11 AM

Glazed pads due to (a) wrong material, (b) overheating due to driving style or driving with your foot on the brake pedal, or (c) just plane bad pads.
    cjeep23 Posts: 49, Reputation: 10

Jun 3, 2009, 10:14 AM
    Does it do this all the time? Because if the vehicle sits for a couple days in a moist environment the brake rotors will develop some surface rust. And that will make them squeal at low speeds. You could also have just gotten a brake pad that mite have a rivet sticking out a little further than it should causing the squeal
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:49 AM

Or the calipers are hanging up due to water in the brake system.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 11:45 AM

Read the link below for ideas:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1618425
    markknapp61 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 03:39 AM

I have found that the rotors get glazed from normal wear and tear, take your rims off and clean the rotors with break cleaner and this will fix it till they get glazed again.
    Good Luck
    Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emergency Brake light stays on after brake is realeased [ 3 Answers ]

What would cause the emergancy brake light to stay on after the emergancy brake has been released on my 2002 Ford Explorer?

Ford squeal with AC on. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Ford E250 Super Cargo, When I am driving and the AC is on, there is a brief squeal every 5-8 seconds when driving over a certain speed, maybe 40 MPH. It does not do it while parked, which makes it difficult to locate. And it does not do it with AC off?

Laptop speeds versus desktop speeds [ 2 Answers ]

My question is somewhat analogous to comparing apples and oranges in that they are both fruits but work differently. i.e. laptops and desktops are both comps but work differently. Regardless, my question is , (if its possible to ocmpare) if I have a desktop that is a pentium 4 3ghz and a laptop...

Squeal After Shutoff [ 5 Answers ]

Recently whenever we shut off any faucet in the house sometimes there is a squealing sound (1-2 seconds). Happens also when dishwasher or washing machine stops. Haven't noticed it with the toilets however. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks, Henry

Compressor squeal [ 2 Answers ]

88 gmc van 6.2 diesel I changed my system to 134 Rebuilt compressor New accumulator At idle compressor works good and cold Soon as I rev up compressor squeals Anybody have any suggestion

View more questions Search