Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:15 AM
    How many are too many?
    Desmond Hatchett from Tennessee is only 29-years-old, but already he has fathered 21 kids with 11 different mothers, but he insists it is OK, and that he knows all their names, ages and birthdates.

The childrens' ages range from a newborn to 11 years old, but there is a major problem in the fact that Desmond Hatchett only works a minimum wage job, therefore each child only gets two dollars each a month. Therefore, the state and taxpayers are having to foot the bill.

It begs the question.. . How many is too many? And who, if anyone, is to blame for this situation? Hatchett? The moms? Certainly the kids aren't to blame! Should the state start making people like him get sterilize?

He says he’s done having children, but at the age of 29, he’s got a lot of baby-making years left in him.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:24 AM
    I blame the kids if they weren't such good swimmers as sperm they wouldn't have made it to the egg. :D

I have always said that there should be an IQ test if you want to have kids. If you fail the test you get sterilized. This will never happen but there would be a lot less idiots in this world.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Well I blame the mothers for being so stupid. I mean after the second or third mother got involved why would you even consider something with this man? Or maybe the third or fourth mother. But still! Come on, don't these woman see something and they keep doing it? But really all involved but the children are to blame. He needs to smarten up. Why aren't the courts getting involved or the state, like they did with octo-mom. She was no smarter! No now she will just be rich because of a bad choice and they are making a reality show out of it. Some life for the children huh? Hey lets hook him up with her agent and he can gets loads of free things and TV shows to. Seems to be the trend.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:34 AM

Well there's the new train-wreck TLC show: "Desmond and 11 moms make 29".
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:39 AM
    OK well is he at least good looking, hung like a horse... lmao... just curious why so many want to jump on the wagon and ride it.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:42 AM

One walk through the relationship board and the things some people put up with, stand up for, it's not a huge surprise.

Fact is, there will always be another one, the girl that thinks she really is 'his one' that he will stay will and of course she will want to have his baby.
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:42 AM

The crazy part is that all the mothers was on the docket at court on the same day and seen by the same judge. :-O

I wished that judge would've been "Judge Judy".
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 88sunflower View Post
    OK well is he atleast good looking, hung like a horse......lmao.....just curious why so many want to jump on the wagon and ride it.
    How do you know he is hung like a horse? Are you one of his baby mother? Hehe
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 07:46 AM
    OMG! Liz is there a link to this crazy story? OK so they all need there heads checked including the judge. Pity the next girl and you know there will be. He is 29, there will be many more I have a feeling.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2009, 12:42 AM

Interesting question, Liz28. I was just wondering what you think the solution should be?

I think it's a train wreck but have no clue how someone like this can be dealt with by the legal system without going down a path of government involvement in family matters that they probably shouldn't be involved with...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 09:26 AM

While I think this is shocking I don't see any way to regulate it. For that matter the argument is brewing where I live - how many children should unwed mothers have before they are forced (and I don't know how anyone is going to enforce THAT type of regulation) to undergo some sort of permanent birth control?

This is not unemployed unwed mothers - they are talking ALL unwed mothers.

So who's to say how many children are too many? Agree - impossible to legislate.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 12:15 PM

I blame society and the government.
    Many people think nothing of having many kids to many partners and not being responsible.
    Schools, TV, music and society teach to have a lax moral standard and a sense of entitlement.

This mom is a prime example:
    Neighbor: Octuplets From Sperm Donor | Momlogic
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 02:40 PM

Who gets to decide how many are too many? Would there be a financial criteria? Education and empoyment requirement? Some sort of test?

If there is going to be change to how the system allows some people to stay on the train, sooner or later there will be those who will have to bear the brunt of it.

Government support plays a vital role for many people, and it meant to be a true safety net, but perhaps stricter guidelines and rules regarding who receives support, in what circumstances, and for a specific period only depending on the circumstances. Politicians don't want to take a strong stand because they don't want to be responsible for how it would effect many people, especially children... and many of those currently being helped obviously don't want things to change.

So you are left with the cycle often repeating itself generation after generation.

I put the blame on people themselves. Some simply do not want to take responsibility for their own choices and actions... and sadly, they raise their children to be the same way.
    jrk Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2009, 03:04 PM

You know, where I live in Nebraska, you have to have a license before you can have a dog, or a pet.
    You don't need one to have a kid.

Jeremy
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Jun 9, 2009, 06:20 AM
    If I had my way, I'd have a van with medical staff that could provide vasectomies and depo. I'd offer cash incentives to fools like Desmond or whomever, and his bevy of "baby mamas", and render them incapable of further breeding.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 06:31 AM
    I saw this guy interviewed on TV. He said he's going to "try" not to have any more kids. Let's see how that goes!

If he's only making minimum wage, then he should quit his job, raise the kids and let the mothers get jobs and pay him child support.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 06:43 AM

I just hope there won't be a baby mother #12 or more. If another woman sleep with him and get pregnant than she is crazy.

I have to give him credit because he did tell them how many kids and baby mamaz he had before he slept with them.
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Jun 9, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwoodhull View Post
    I saw this guy interviewed on TV. He said he's going to "try" not to have any more kids. Let's see how that goes!

If he's only making minimum wage, then he should quit his job, raise the kids and let the mothers get jobs and pay him child support.
    He'll "try"? What a joke. It's not like birth control is rocket science. Time for a public "neuter and spay" project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search