Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vikramg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2006, 01:38 AM
    Accepting expensive gifts
    I am hesitating whether to accept exensive gifts such as diamond jewellery from a one year old boyfriend even though I like him. I am only 17 and he is 20. Is it okay ? Will there be any implication of this on our friendship. Please advise me whether to accept it, In case advice is to return it then what's the most quick and appropriate method of returning without hurting the friendship... Thanks
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Oct 7, 2006, 05:51 AM
    Was it a gift for a special occasion? What was it and just how expensive?

Oct 7, 2006, 07:31 AM
    He gave me on my birthday whaich was three days ago. It was a set of necklace and a ring. I found out worth about 600 dollars. I was taken aback, didn't know what to do and kept it on the spur of moment. Now I don't know what to do. I like him very much. Ut I am not sure whether there would be any long term implications
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Usually an expensive gift like that is given as a commitment to becoming engaged. If you're not ready to progress to this stage then I wouldn't accept it. Just tell him that you can't accept such an extravagant gift at this stage. He may be trying to build up to something but if you'er not ready for that then you need to tell him.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 7, 2006, 08:14 AM
    A gift should be given without the expectation that the recipient will do some kind of favor in return.

If the gift was presented as a birthday present, you shouldn't hesitate to keep it. If it was given with strings attached, you should give it back.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 7, 2006, 12:12 PM
    I think you should firmly let him know how you feel about expensive gifts and I hope we don't read his post about how much he put in a relationship only to get dumped. Its up to you to set your boundries as to what is and isn't appropriate.

Oct 7, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Why do you think he gave me the expensive gift in the first place knowing that I am still so young... the action has made it diifficult for me decide either ways whether to keep the expensive gift or to return it at the cost of unnecessarily complicating the friendship
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 7, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vikramg
    why do you think he gave me the expensive gift in the first place knowing that i am still so young.........................the action has made it diifficult for me decide either ways whether to keep the expensive gift or to return it at the cost of unnecessarily complicating the friendship
    `I'm willing to bet he is trying to impress you and show how much he loves you. It is important that you let him no whether this is unnneccesary or not. Make a decision and stick to it as sometimes there is a cost to our actions as well as our inaction.
    lilian79 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vikramg
    I am hesitating whether to accept exensive gifts such as diamond jewellery from a one year old boyfriend even though I like him. I am only 17 and he is 20. Is it okay ? Will there be any implication of this on our friendship. Please advise me whether to accept it, In case advice is to return it then whats the most quick and appropriate method of returning without hurting the friendship....Thanks
    OHHHHHHHHH you need to give that thing back... when we start excepting things and making it seem like its okay for us to feel like we owe them something because they gave us that... Its not good plus you are only 17, and you are just beginning to know what you want, and I am sure that right now you don't want someone to begin trying to control your life, because that's what its going to start happening...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting holiday gifts for persons of other religions [ 9 Answers ]

Okay I know I have made fun of them but I have An aunt, uncle, and three cousins who are Jehovas witnesses. I know they don't celebrate santa and all that stuff. Isn't there some way I can get something for them that won't offend or start a war?

Asking for Christmas gifts etiquette [ 5 Answers ]

My oldest sister is very materialistic. She sent me an e-mail this a.m. "giving me a heads-up" about Christmas gifts for her kids. She proceeded to tell me that the "kids have asked that they receive cash instead of gift cards so they can buy what they want." I was appalled at this rude...

Wedding Gifts [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have been invited to a wedding. Our nephew is marrying a girl from a very wealthy family. While visiting with a cousin, someone mentioned that it is proper wedding ettiquette to give a wedding gift that matches the price per plate at a wedding reception. The cost per plate at...

Accepting Androids [ 11 Answers ]

How would you feel associating with an Android who was virtually indistinguishable from human? I recently read in Scientific American Magazine concerning the psychological reaction people have when in the presence of a machine which is striving to mimic not only human thought processes but also...

Why is divorce so expensive? [ 3 Answers ]

Because it is worth it! My first wife would rather climb up a tree to tell me a lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth. I honestly tried everything to please her but it did not work. When we split, I nearly died. Did a lot of stupid things I am very ashamed of: however, if I had only known...

View more questions Search