Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caesars charm Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Oct 6, 2006, 07:22 PM
    How to make my furniture look old.
    I've just painted some furniture that I had made of pine like a set of coffee and end tables, a jelly cabinet and a bench. I put two coats of paint on and I'm thinking I should have just put one and then sanded. The paint is a water based enamel and I'm wondering what the best method is to use. Please help!
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Oct 7, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Did you paint them or stain them? If you painted them, what color? There are different ways to do it, but first need to know what you put on in the beginning.

Oct 7, 2006, 07:00 PM
    I put a water based paint on all of the furniture but there was a flat stain on the coffee and end tables when I got them but nothing on the bench and jelly cabinet . Thanks for your reply!

Oct 7, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Sorry but I forgot to tell you what colors I used. I put navy on the bench and jelly cabinet, dark brown on my bench and tables.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 7, 2006, 08:34 PM
    ... making the furniture look old would require more than just paint... chains and paint illusions ( shading)are necessary too... if it is pine are you going for a rustic look or shabby chic... the use of brown... not deep tone brown would not give an effect of shabby chic but will give you a great rustic... so what design direction are you gong...

Oct 8, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Did you remove the paint on the coffee and end tables before repainting?

Oct 8, 2006, 06:16 PM
    I did not remove the stain on the coffee and end tables before I painted them. I just want to get the old worn look and yesterday I sanded them and they do look pretty good. It's just that now I am wondering if I should put a water based stain right over them. Especially the other pieces of furniture that has nothing in under the paint. What do you suggest?

Oct 10, 2006, 05:55 AM
    You can put a stain over what you have sanded. I have seen it done. When I have made wood look old, I have painted it with a base coat, then put another coat on top of that and then sanded it. Then taken a dark brown or black watered down paint, taken a tooth brush and stood back and flicked the paint on the piece. It puts small dots and some slashes on the piece and gives it depth. One great looking old look is base coat something in barn red, cover with indigo blue and sand it. If you want marks on the piece, put some nails and screws in a sock and bang the piece with it.

Oct 10, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Thanks K3. I've done what you said and I'm so proud of myself. HA! I've got a TV unit that I already painted classic brown, which is a dark brown and now thinking I have too much brown what do you suggest I put over it. My walls are Terracotta. It's in my livingroom and right now I have my coffee and end tables brown, a old fisherman's couch brown with beige upholstery. I have two shelves that are a dark whitewashed wood and now I really need to change the color on my TV unit. I'm really starting to like doing this stuff. Especially now that I've got the know-how. Are you like me in liking the country look. It's really comfy isn't it?

Oct 11, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Yes, I love to paint and decorate and take something old and make it beautiful again or something and make it look old and rustic. I enjoy looking at my house and knowing I created as much of the look as I could.
    As for your piece, take a lighter color, possibly peanut butter or light yet, a beige color, water it down, paint on the brown, dry and sand, then hit it with the splashes with the paint brush. First of all, I would find a piece of pine wood, paint it the brown you used and then put the lighter color on it and see how you like it. See how thick you want it (as for watering it down) You don't want it too watered, do a little and see if you like it. I usually experiment on a piece of wood if I am not sure what the outcome will be. Sounds great, and it is fun.

Oct 11, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Thanks for your reply once again. I need to get away from the beige because like I said I have my shelves a off-white wash and the fisherman's couch done with a beige plaid. Any more suggestions?

Oct 12, 2006, 06:35 AM
    What accent colors do you have in your room? You said terracotta walls, beige couch. What color are your throw pillows, rugs, andy other color theme?

Oct 12, 2006, 10:55 AM
    That's it for the colors right now. My pillows are terracotta also. I'm changing as I go. My fireplace mantle is now white and I'm planning on doing it like my shelves as well. I have light oak hardwood on the floors but now have my rug taken up. Do you think doing my TV unit a dark moss green would look OK?

Oct 13, 2006, 05:10 AM
    That might work. I am trying to imagine the brown with the moss green over it and sanded. It may be wonderful. Let me know how it turns out. I have 8 clients today so I will be sooo busy, I have another idea that can help add color. I will email tomarrow morning. But do the moss green.

Oct 18, 2006, 10:18 PM
    K3, I didn't paint the TV unit yet because I'm trying to make up my mind on something else. I need your opinion on this as well because I really do think you give good advice. I think I should have left my coffee and end tables stained instead of painting them. Then I think everything else would be fine. What do you think of me putting a stripper on them and doing another coat of stain. Do you think the brown paint will all come off if I strip them? After all it's just a water paint. Need your help!

Oct 19, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Yes, you can get the paint off using a stipper. There are some easy ones out there. Put it on, it bubbles up and you use a putty knife and off it comes, you may have to sand it a little but it will look great. I agree, another coat of stain would be beautiful. I can not think of the stripper I use, but Home Depot or Lowe's has it. Good luck, it will be beautiful, good choice!!

Oct 19, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Thanks k_3. I have a stripper here and I quess they pretty much work the same. Can't think of starting at it but like you said I think it will be better. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 19, 2006, 01:57 PM
    I do remove the paint and stain from any wood piece... I had done... then I would sand the pieces and place a primer on pieces that I am going to add color to... staining requires no primer... just re stain and sand down.. then repeat the stain and sand... this is for smoothing... and leaves a smooth appearance... for stain will leave that country to thick look... if you do not smooth the stain down... and when you finish painting then you need to add a clear sealer after you are finished...

Oct 19, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Thanks LunaGoddess! I haven't ventured on the furniture yet but will in a hour or so. I'm scared to death of making a mess of everything. After I get the paint off I'm going to use a Minwax in the name of Early American. It doesn't have any buildup and goes right in the wood. I've been using it on the furniture that I had sanded down and it looked great. Thanks for your reply. I'll let you know how things work out. Maybe in two weeks HA!

Oct 20, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Don't worry about making a mess. Even mistakes can be easily fixed and often the most beautiful pieces. See how it looks after the stain, you can also antique it after the stain. When I say antique, very very lightly done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furniture companies [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question about the top ten furniture companies in the USA. Does anyone know who are the top ten furnitute companies in the USA? Or does anyone know where I can find this information on the web? Thank you.

Anchor furniture down [ 1 Answers ]

I have a pool with a vinyl liner and would like to anchor the outdoor chairs and table furniture down. How do I do this on cement we get alt of wind and I do not want the furniture to blow into the pool with a vinyl liner?

Top ten furniture factories [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question about the top ten furniture companies in the USA. Does anyone know who are the top ten furnitute companies in the USA? Or does anyone know where I can find this information on the web? Thank you.

Top ten furniture factories [ 0 Answers ]

View more questions Search