Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lauryn685 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 02:58 AM
    Chinese Drywall
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Chinese drywall. My fiancé and I are in the process of searching for a home. We want to make sure that if we look at certain homes built in that time of the use of chinese drywall we can be sure to know whether the home has chinese drywall in it.

What do we look for?

I have heard the home often has a foul odor. Is this true?

Any special places we could look? What would indicate that it is chinese drywall?

Would appliances (stainless steel to be specific) have to be changed due to having chinese drywall? Would this make the appliances rust?

Thanks... any additional info you can give me would be great!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 04:27 AM
    Try these sites:

Chinese Drywall

Chinese Drywall Inspector
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Dec 31, 2009, 08:26 AM

Chinese drywall has a sulfur odor sometimes no noticeable it will change the color of copper to black so the best places to look for the sign of it are in electrical boxes air conditioner lines plumbing lines if copper look in the attic at the back of the sheet rock look in the stair well at the back of the sheet rock have your house checked by a Nachi Home Inspector.Look at the INTERNACHI Web site there is a forum with answers to a lot of home questions and answers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chinese-made drywall causing coil failures [ 4 Answers ]

Chinese-made drywall imported during the height of the housing boom is suspected of being responsible for the corrosion and failure of metal components, as well as foul odors, in homes in the Sarasota area and down both coasts of Florida. State and federal health officials are now trying to...

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

View more questions Search