Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommythorn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Revoked driving license
    My husband has two dui in the state of illinios which happen back in 1995 OK now we live in Wisconsin and he received another one in sept 2004 he has since went sober and has been for 2 years and 1 month which I am proud of him. I forgot to add his license were revoked in illinios and Wisconsin says he can apply for one , well he tried and illinios stop it well they have a hold on it they want him to do a out of state hearing well that's fine he is willing to do that but no one in Wisconsin wants to touch the paper work because illinios does not accept their findings so they told us to have illinios do it but they won't because his treatment was done in Wisconsin. So what can we do we already went to galena, illinios and they told us they can't help us! So I emailed illinios asking them about this problem . Now I am asking you on here. Thanks for any info you can give.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2006, 01:51 PM
    It's only $100 fine to drive without a license here in Canada.
    If he's a good driver, perhaps he should continue driving until things get settled out. If a job is at stake and I had no license, I wouldn't think twice. I haven't been pulled over for ten years. So if I did not have a licence, that would be $10/year. Come to think of it, I may not renew my license next time it becomes due (it cost $75 for four years to renew my license). Thanks, you've enlightened me!

You have all the paperwork. So instead of you proving to them he's qualified, let them try to prove he isn't. You know the saying, innocent until proven guilty.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 6, 2006, 02:22 PM
    bhayne,,

Here in the U.S. if your license is revoked because of DUI and you are caught driving it could mean jail time and a lifetime loss of license (depending on the state, each state is different)!! If it were a $100 fine then we would have drunks driving all over the place.

Although your advice may be correct for Canada, it could result in major jail time here in the U.S.

Oct 6, 2006, 02:33 PM
    But if he's gone to rehab and is off alcohol, his license in not revoked because of a DUI, it is just revoked because of government red tape.

I wouldn't let red tape stop me. Case in point- the Canadian gun regestry. Did I register my arms- no. Did I stop hunting-no. What was the result: after 5 years of people paying for gun registration and hundreds of millions in government overruns (not to mention non-compliance with many others) the gun registry was scrapped.

What would they do if they caught me hunting with an unregistered weapon? All they could do is make me register. So why wouldn't I wait until the situation happens? Heck, it saved me over $100 in gun registration fees that would have gone towards some politician's vacation!

What would the police do if I was caught driving without my license? They give me a fine. They don't even take the car. They don't even make me get a license. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Expert

Oct 6, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Yes, it is revoked because of red tape, however, the DUI is still on record. Until the revocation is uplifted you are not to drive in the U.S. Period, in some states it will get you jail time.

Believe me, my ex had a DUI and a revoked license that was in the middle of red tape and ended up going to jail. I also worked for a law firm that handled people with DUI.

Until you have gone through the court system and have the revoked license reinstated you are not to drive. The only cosideration is if the court gives you limitations on your license stating that you are allowed to drive only from home to work and back and they must have the exact mileage between your home and your work, along with your work hours. I (not me personally, my ex while I was married to him) have been through this process. It is messy and FULL of red tape that must be followed to the letter to keep you from doing jail time.

Oct 6, 2006, 02:53 PM
    I guess that's why we have so few people in jail here in Canada. That could be one thought (lax laws).

The real reason, though (my theory only), is because the criminals are all politicians in Ottawa.

Maybe you could move to Canada like all Bin Laden's friends (another one of my theory only).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2006, 08:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhayne
    But if he's gone to rehab and is off alcohol, his license in not revoked because of a DUI, it is just revoked because of government red tape.
    Hello bhayne:

He's been precluded from driving because he's dangerous and going to kill somebody. My family is out there on that road. I don't want them to share it with drunks.

Maybe in Canada, you have so few people on the roads that a drunk couldn't hit anybody if he tried. Aaaahh?

excon
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Oct 7, 2006, 06:21 AM
    The DUI's were 11 years ago in Illinois, right? Was he on probation for them and skipped out on the probation? Does he still have fines to pay? It is difficult to answer your questions without all of the information.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 08:22 AM
    It's only $100 fine to drive without a license here in Canada.
    If he's a good driver, perhaps he should continue driving until things get settled out. If a job is at stake and I had no license, I wouldn't think twice. I haven't been pulled over for ten years. So if I did not have a licence, that would be $10/year. Come to think of it, I may not renew my license next time it becomes due (it cost $75 for four years to renew my license). Thanks, you've enlightened me!!

You have all the paperwork. So instead of you proving to them he's qualified, let them try to prove he isn't. You know the saying, innocent until proven guilty.
    I don't know about Canada but here in the U.S. in this day and age an adult really cannot be without some form of I.D and a photo driver's license is one of the most common and easiest forms to acquire. It may indeed be easy to get away with driving without a license provided you never get pulled over or have to have your vehicle inspected but given conditions in the world today it really isn't wise to advise someone to go without any form of ID whatsoever. A passport will work but it takes a lot more time and money to acquire one of those here in the U.S. then it does a driver's license.
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    bhayne,,,

Here in the U.S. if your license is revoked because of DUI and you are caught driving it could mean jail time and a lifetime loss of license (depending on the state, each state is different)!!! If it were a $100 fine then we would have drunks driving all over the place.

Although your advice may be correct for Canada, it could result in major jail time here in the U.S.
    This is true. Evidently the U.S. is much harder on DWIs than other countries.
    Expert

Oct 7, 2006, 08:24 AM
    You can go to your local Driver's Testing Site and get a basic photo I.D. Here in Tennessee the cost for a state I.D. is only $5. It is not a driver's license in any way shape or form, but rather a photo state I.D. My youngest 2 children have them and they are only 13 and 4. So they are available for anyone.
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't let red tape stop me. Case in point- the Canadian gun regestry. Did I register my arms- no. Did I stop hunting-no. What was the result: after 5 years of people paying for gun registration and hundreds of millions in goverment overruns (not to mention non-compliance with many others) the gun registry was scrapped.

What would they do if they caught me hunting with an unregistered weapon? All they could do is make me register. So why wouldn't I wait until the situation happens? Heck, it saved me over $100 in gun registration fees that would have gone towards some politician's vacation!!

What would the police do if I was caught driving without my license? They give me a fine. They don't even take the car. They don't even make me get a license. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Well, bhayne, it's obvious you're not an American lol. Not that you don't make some good points because you do. Obviously Canada is a little wiser than the U.S. when it comes to dealing with hoards of pointless, costly and time-consuming bureaucracies. This is one of the biggest frustrations about life here in the U.S.A. Keep in mind that, regarding the case in point that started this thread, his latest D.U.I. is only 2 years old. That may be considered ancient history in Canada but not here in the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driving to the basket help [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm 15 years old, 5.7 and 110lb. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice/tips on driving to the basket effectively during a game while being guarded. And please be specific because I would really practice it and appriciate it thanks :)

Driving me nuts [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so for the past month or so i have been trying to find a movie that i remember seeing when i was about 6 or so. The movie is partially animated and is about this boy who goes into a library and gets sucked into a book. In the book he becomes animated. He then meets 2 books one is dressed as a...

I'm driving myself mad... [ 17 Answers ]

On the whole my relationship with my boyfriend is good. We are fairly honest with each other. Last wkend we went clubbing together, with about another 5 people. We had a good evening and got very drunk. There's this 1 girl who has known me and boyfriend forever, very sweet girl just abit...

This is driving me crazy! [ 7 Answers ]

I don't remember the name of the movie, but it is driving me crazy!! It is form the 80's or 90's. It is about a little girl, and she steps through a mirror in her bedroom and goes to an animated land with little creatures. I think the little girl was brown headed, but I'm not sure. Any help would...

It's driving me mad... [ 26 Answers ]

I typed out a whole long message regarding this, about why I think I feel this way, and what I think it's a reflection of, but I think it was far too long to bother you all with... The problem is that I'm sabotaging my relationship with my fiancé. I love him so much, and I know he loves me, so...

View more questions Search