Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minimumof8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Ten years after bankruptcy I owe a creditor?
    I hope someone can answer this for me, I filed for bankruptcy about ten years ago, and today I received a letter stating that if I act now I can save 900 on what I owe! I haven't even applied for a credit card let alone buy anything. How is it possible? My wife and I recently applied for a loan, could someone have lifted my information from the bank or Equifax or some other service. Am I entitled to ask for proof, there had to have been a signiture. Please help.
    adeena Posts: 19, Reputation: 6

Jun 1, 2009, 03:35 PM

You didn't provide much information, but this sounds very suspicious to me... Who sent the letter? Was it the original creditor or a 3rd party company? If it's a 3rd party company, you can probably ignore it.

I'm pretty sure that bankruptcy filings are public record, and there are companies out there that look for public filings - so it's not unreasonable that someone easily (and legally) got your information.

You should review your situation with an attorney or accountant.

Hope this helps! (I'm not an expert in this area - just someone who's also had some issues and knows how distressing random, expected letters in the mail can be!)

-Adeena
    Author of "Cute Little Store: between the entrepreneurial dream and business reality" and "Cute Little Store 2: what ever happened to that cute little store?"
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jun 1, 2009, 05:18 PM

Hello M

If this debt was included in the bankruptcy, simply tell them to quit harassing you about a 10 year old debt or better yet give the them the name of the attorney that filed the bankruptcy! These debt collectors buy debts for pennies on the dollars and try to collect anyway they can
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 06:11 PM

It could be 100 things, so you find out by calling this so called debtor ( not giving any of your info) ask them to verify the debt, who was the original debtor, and how old is the debt.

Some debts of course are not always discharged, and some companies illegally try to collect money years latter.

And there could be someone who used your crdit ID info and borrowed money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Bankruptcy less than seven years from last filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am disabled. Is it possible for me to file bankruptcy a second time within 5-7 years from the first filing? Can they come take my car?

Years after Bankruptcy, a monthly bill still coming [ 1 Answers ]

About seven or eight years ago, my husband lost his job. After nearly a year of not finding work and unsuccessfully trying to make ends meet, we were forced to file a Chapter Seven. Bankruptcy is not something we are proud of. Up until this time we had pristine credit. And since, have been...

Creditor Rights in Bankruptcy Court [ 1 Answers ]

We have a judgment against renters who are now filing Chpt 7 and I heard if they did malicious damage to our property we should still be able to collect that money. They got into a fight and he broke an exterior door and they never fixed it. Therefore there ended up being water damage on the...

Creditor contact after bankruptcy! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged on 8/8/06. I just received a letter from a collections agency creditor trying to get $300 from an old cash advance which I guess was from 3/01/05. I believe that cash advances are included in the discharge if below $750 and if they were not...

10 years later... bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

We filed bankruptcy over 10 years ago. Part of the debt was a student loan from my husband. We had not heard a word for over actually 11 years when out of the blue comes a letter from the U. S. Dept of Ed demanding over $20,000 on a $8,000 loan. When we objected and asked for time it was sent out...

View more questions Search