Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrao124 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Social security refund
    Hello,

My husband and I are citizens of India. We've been green card holders for 2+ yrs now. If we decide to go back to India next year, essentially giving up our green cards, can we get a refund of the social security amount (the principal we have been paying) when we go back? We should be completing 40 credits soon.

Thanks in advance for the help.

J Rao
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
    J Rao:

There are NO refunds of Social Security and Medicare taxes for those who are legally liable to pay them (like you and me).

Sorry

Oct 7, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I was also wondering about another related question.

We are on green cards. If we go back to India in a few months (after completing 40 credits) without getting a citizenship, essentially giving up our green cards, can we receive SS payments in India when we are of eligible age? The information available on the web is very confusing on this point.

Thanks again
    J Rao
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2006, 08:59 AM
    You have to pay Social Security taxes for ten years to qualify for a SS pension.

If you have done so,then, yes, In my opinion, you will qualify for a pension regardless of where you live in the world.

Oct 7, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Once again, thanks.

If one has no legal status in the US , then in 20-25 yrs or so, when we qualify to get the SS pension, how do we go about applying for it from India?

J Rao
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Contact the Social Security Administration to confirm what I told you and to find out how to apply for benefits from India.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 7, 2006, 08:23 PM
    The social security does not give out refunds for if you are an H1B or on any other visa... social security is not taken out of your check... things do happen... but the norm is SS and Medicare are not taken out of the checks of
    H1B's or anyone on a visa...
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 05:23 PM
    LunaGoddess:

Sorry, your information is NOT accurate. Holders of L-1, H-1 and H-1B visas MUST pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.

In most cases, F-1 and J-1 visaholders do NOT pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Check out IRS Pub 915 for verification.

Oct 10, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Thanks, Atlanta Tax Expert, for your help.

I will go to the SS office and get more info.

J Rao
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 10, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Refund of Contributions [ 3 Answers ]

I am a green card holder (UK citizen) and my 40 quarters of working will be completed shortly. However, I might have to return to the UK next year for family reasons - I understand that I can get a lump sum refund of my contributions if I leave the USA permanently. Is this true? If it is, are...

Social Security Refund for Dual Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hello , I was on OPT status till SEPT40 2005 and from Oct1st2005 my status changed from OPT to H1. My company still withdrew my Social security and medicare taxes and asked me to get it back while failing for taxes. I am an Indian citizen and I guess I come under Dual Status and can file the...

F1- H1B Social Security and Medicare refund [ 4 Answers ]

I read through some the posts, I was working on OPT (F1 Visa) from Jan - Oct 2005 and was on H1-B from Oct 1, 2005 onwards. It seems since I did not complete 183 days on H1-B I still qualify as a non resident and should File 1040NR or 1040NREZ with the standard deductions (from India). Am I also...

Social Security Refund when leaving USA [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US. For 3 years under H1-B visa and I returned to my home country in 2005. Long time ago, I heard that in this case, social security tax and medicare tax can be refunded. Is that true? How can I claim for the refund? And is there anything else I can claim for in this case? Thank you.

View more questions Search