Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chandran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2006, 09:14 AM
    Is Aspartame harmful?
    I am diabetic and have been taking sugar substitute, in addition to diabetic control drugs, for few years to keep my sugar level down. Recently I saw a warning sign in a hospital which states that "aspartium" present in most of the commercially available sugar substitutes are harmful to health and might even cause cancer. I would like to know how far it is true and whether it is really harmful to health. If it is so is there any other safe sugar substitutes which doesn't contain aspartium or any other harmful substance.

Thanks in advance for a detailed reply.

Chandran
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2006, 10:07 AM
    As I recall (and googling Aspartame should get more info), Aspartame was shown to cause cancer in lab rats. But the quantities needed to cause that cancer were so huge it was equivalent to a human consuming pounds of the stuff daily.

I have seen nor heard of any evidence that Aspartame is dangerous when used moderately. However, a new substitute, Splenda has appeared fairly recently. Made from sugar but without the calories it may be a better choice.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2006, 11:41 AM
    I've seen those findings - and the truth behind them - too. I do not find any reputable [medical] sites giving good evidence that it is harmful to humans in reasonable doses.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Oct 13, 2006, 04:22 AM
    I would tend to agree with Scott and Rick -- though it can be difficult to separate the truth from the hype. There are countless webpages devoted to the dangers of Aspartame. Most recently, it has even been suggested that it can reactivate otherwise dormant Lyme in chronic sufferers of such. Who knows...
    One possible natural alternative -- to the best of my knowledge, considered generally safe for diabetics -- is an herb called Stevia, used as an alternative to table sugar. It is ultimately far sweeter than sucrose, but is sometimes reported as having a slightly bitter, or "liquorice" aftertaste. I have never tried it myself, preferring to use honey, but it is available in any good whole-foods market.
    MrsMac2003 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2007, 03:11 PM
    I don't know about these studies about cancer etc being attributed to aspartame but I CAN vouch for the fact that people CAN be allergic to aspartame! I am one of those people. Whenever I drink a lot of flavored water with aspartame, I get an excruciating headache that stubbornly refuses to be eased by Tylenol. My doctor finally figured out the association of the headaches and the aspartame and now I avoid it whenever possible. I use Splenda and try to purchase products made with Splenda instead of nutra-sweet (uses aspartame). A LOT less headaches now!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 05:38 PM
    It is harmful but just like the drug companies they are more concerned about making their millions than if some people have bad effects from it. It turns to formaldahyde in your system. I know lots of people who insist on drinking diet soda and using their Splenda and other sweeteners and they have very poor health... shakes, poor memory, vision problems, migraines, etc. that worsened more after they gave up the sugar for aspartame.

http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_causes_brain_tumors.htm

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm

Aspartame: Drs Olney and Roberts on brain cancer

This might also help you as a diabetic Xylitol sweetener : by Ray Sahelian, M.D. Xylitol product side effects

Stevia is a good alternative. Agave nectar and some Asian sweetener that I can't recall the name are suppost to be the best alternatives.

Also there are a few things that are good for diabetics but you have to monitor your insolin more and keep up with doctor check ups if you try these since they can normalize your sugar. These are what I remember

1 Teaspoon of cinnamon in the morning
    Cherry juice
    Chromium picolinate
    Prickly pear Prickly Pear Cactus Medicine (Treatments for Diabetes, Cholesterol, and the Immune System)
    Omega, flax oil, olive oil NEXUS: The Diabetes Deception
    Avoid transfats, margarine, cooking oils,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Protect" and "Preserve" [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference of the word "Protect" and "Preserve" ? Especially when it is used to mean protecting something. Sorry if my English is strange. (Preserve: to save something or someone from being harmed or destroyed, to make something continue without changing. / Protect: to keep someone of...

View more questions Search