Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donnareed Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Laminate flooring transition to raised vinyl flooring
    Installer put new 1/4' subfloor in bathroom last year when installing new Tarkett (vinyl) flooring, with a metal strip transition to existing hall carpet.
    Now we are installing 12mm laminate in hall, which with underlay, is approximately the same height. However, when the metal strip was removed, holes were left in the vinyl directly under the bathroom side of the door (when closed) which must be covered, as well as the exposed ends of laminate (which run across the threshold).
    I removed and trimmed the door last year to accommodate the new bathroom subfloor, but there is little room left for any kind of transition, without removing and trimming the door again.
    Any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 05:18 PM

You do know that removing the door is the correct thing at this point, right? The transitions always sit a touch higher than the floor, trimming the door isn't that hard.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 06:25 PM

They make a transition metal that should be wide enough to cover both holes and edge of laminate. Go to carpet and tile store or supply house.

The sizes are from 1'' to 3''

Good luck

Chuck
    donnareed Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 09:30 PM
    :)
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    They make a transition metal that should be wide enough to cover both holes and edge of laminate. Go to carpet and tile store or supply house.

The sizes are from 1'' to 3''

Good luck

Chuck
    Thanks for the suggestion creahands! My husband went to a flooring supply store and bought a 1 1/4 inch binder bar as a transition piece. It covered the nail holes in the vinyl and was wide enough to nail the laminate in place. Did the job nicely! Donna Reed
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 09:35 PM

Hi Donna

Glad we could help.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where should I transition the flooring between two rooms? [ 3 Answers ]

This is sort of hard to describe but I sure could use everyone's help so I will try to do the best I can. I am also going to attach a jpg of the area of the home so you can see what I am talking about. We are remodeling our house and I am working on flooring in my reading room. There is an...

Vinyl flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I plan to put new vinyl (linoleum) flooring in my kitchen. The currently flooring is vinyl and very level. Is it okay to have the new lino installed over top of the old?

How to remove vinyl flooring [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing marble floor tile with 1/4" cement board backer. There are severl layers of vinyl flooring. There are some pieces that do not want to come up. I have even tried burning with mapp gas torch. Can I leave it even though it is the thickness of the vinyl or do I have to buy a bigger...

Vinyl flooring [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to install vinyl flooring directly on top of a cement slab.

View more questions Search