Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxfamilygirlxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Is it an eating disorder?
    Erm its my first time using this site so I'm sorry if I babble on

When I started year 9 at my high school I started to put on weight and it was fast in the space of a year I went from 10 stone to 16 (OMG) and I was picked on a lot of the time because of it. Then I joined college which was a public service course so it had a lot of fitness in it (running gym all that kind of stuff) and I started to loose it slowly but I started to feel it wasn't going fast enough so I stated to hate eating the food and this was about half way through my first year but it was nothing serious I still ate my 3 meals a day and all that.
    But 4 or 5 months ago I started to skip meals and do more fitness, then in the 2 months or so I haven't eaten a full meal because it makes me feel like a pig and horrible, just looking at food makes me feel sick and I have been sick a few times. In the past month I have gone from a size 16 to a size 12. I want to stop because I no I am hurting my body but then I don't want to stop if you no what I mean. Help me is there something wrong with me or is it just my imagination playing tricks on me?.
    Fugue Posts: 14, Reputation: 6

Jun 1, 2009, 07:18 PM
    First, I want to start with a disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, and even if I were, I wouldn't be able to diagnose you online.

But. Yes, this sounds to me like an eating disorder.

I want you to read this as many times as it takes to sink in: You do NOT need to maintain or encourage an eating disorder to lose weight or to stay slender.

I hope this doesn't sound judgmental, because I really do understand where you're coming from. Around five years ago, I gained quite a bit of weight, lost it, and even now, keeping the weight off can require some real willpower.

Something I've learned, though, is that eating healthfully - in other words, consuming enough calories to keep my body functioning properly, choosing foods with good micronutrient contents, and sticking to low-fat choices and sensible portions - is very hard to do at first, but becomes incredibly satisfying. Something else I've learned is that, while losing weight slowly and methodically can seem frustrating when you're still "too fat" even though you're following all the rules, it's absolutely vital that you give yourself time to develop and ingrain those good habits that will keep you from putting the weight right back on. You do want your health and good body image to last, right? :)

Again, while I'd be concerned about your eating habits, I don't want to sound like I'm diagnosing you. A doctor needs to do that (or not). Please do see one, though. And when you're done, make an appointment with a nutritionist. (Ask your doctor to recommend one.) The expense will be well worth it; you'll get so much information about how to lose weight and keep it off without putting yourself in danger.

I wish you all the best!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eating disorder H-E-L-P [ 5 Answers ]

I am not comforatble with the way I look, I don't feel good about myself, I am a pretty girl in the face, and I have great hair, its just my body... I almost have an eating disorder, I need a lot of help. I take a large junours size and I'm very upset. I've tried perging twice... it hasn't worked....

Eating Disorder? [ 13 Answers ]

My apologies if I am asking this question in the wrong area as I am not entirely sure where this should be asked. My question is about eating disorders. Can a slightly overweight person be anorexic or bulimic? How do you know if a person has an eating disorder? Any ideas? :confused:

Eating disorder [ 1 Answers ]

I think one of my friends have an eating disorder but I don't no how can I tell is she is and if she is what do I do ?:confused:

Do I have an eating disorder? [ 4 Answers ]

Over the past few months I've been obsessed with losing weight I lost over a stone and according to my BMI I'm a healthy weight (20.3) but every time I look in the mirror all I can of is how fat I think I look. I cut the amount of food I ate in a day down to less than one meal and day. My friends...

Eating Disorder [ 7 Answers ]

I have recently felt really fat. I checked my BMI and it says I'm really low normal but I feel huge. I have a really low self esteem I think but its only when I'm by myself when I'm with friends I'm fine! I often try to make myself sick I have also chosen about two months ago to restrict my diet...

View more questions Search