Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Weezie1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 08:03 PM
    Estimate of small construction project
    I hired a contractor to gut a room damaged by water. This included, removing paneling, and drywall. The contract called for tear out existing paneling, drywall and insulation. Remove all debris, install new drywall and tape, paint one prime coat, paint one coat of paint, choice of color, re-use insulation on walls only. Must vent rafters, we will use ridged insulation in ceiling as needed or insulated green wall. No replacement in insulation ceiling, shingles must breath there is no attic. We will use spray foam as needed to prevent drafts. I also under a separate contract with the same person had windows installed. When they removed the drywall and paneling, they did not use drop cloths so they tramped the drywall into my real wood parquet floor. They did not cover anything in the room and I was told I would have to do the clean up of the dust in the room. They used my drop cloths after the fact. The contractor now wants to charge me for drywall , etc. because he said he under estimated the job. NOT FAIR. I have a signed contract and don't feel I have to pay for any additional money because of his mistake. What do contractors think? A reply in a few days would be nice as he wants the rest of his money.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 08:15 AM

A signed contract should stand if there was no hidden damages that required more work/materials than in the original estimate. However, read your contract carefully for any clause dealing with contingencies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depreciation Estimate [ 1 Answers ]

A machine with a cost of 100K and accumlated depreciation of 80K was sold at a loss of 6K. What amount of cash was received from the sale? My answer is 74K. Is this correct?

Small building estimate [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I just started a small cleaning business, and I have the chance to bid on a small contract Could somebody tell me what is the rate for square foot for a 2 floors building in Maryland? Thanks.

How to figure 18% of construction project [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my home. I am using a general contractor. He has told me that to keep things honest he straight line charges 18% onto all invoices. Now that I have the contractors statement the numbers don't line up. How would the real person get the 18% of the total bill of $239,540.18?? He...

How do I estimate? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to start a small powerwashing business,can someone tell me what the going rates are for deck washing and sealing. I am in the central jersey area Do you charge by the sq. ft and how much?

How to calculate profit margin % for ongoing construction project? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, How do I come up with the % of profit margin in a specific month or period of an ongoing construction project that may have revisions along the way? I'm using the cumulative catchup method. I know the costs, revenue, profits, etc, to date and for total project. This may be a simple...

View more questions Search