Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solarize00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Getting out of a co-signed lease
    About 5 years ago I lived with a friend of mine and we signed a year lease for an apartment. We were only there for a couple of months before she accidentally got pregnant and we could no longer live there. She assured me that she would take care of the penalty fee for breaking the lease but when I got my credit report, I found out that it's still on my credit and that she hadn't done anything at all. Is there anything I can do to get out of this mess? Anything that she can do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Sorry to bear the bad news, but getting that debt satisfied is the only real way to do it. Is the friend still a friend? Do you have anything in writing proving that she agreed to take care of it? If yes to the first, contact her about it and see if she'll pay it. If yes to the second, you could take her to small claims court (if the amount is within the small claims limit in your area).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2006, 05:46 AM
    You might check on the statue of limitations. It may be something that might fall off the credit report soon. Talk to the credit reporting agency and ask what they would need to remove the notation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who keeps the orignal signed lease agreement [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a landlord(Lessor) of a rental property. The tenant/Lessee had asked for the original signed signature page of the lease agreement. Should I give them the orignal signed signature page or give them a photocopy of the signed signature page? Thanks in advanced.

Roommate's attempt to terminate co-signed lease [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate backed out of our co-signed lease two weeks before the lease's commencement. Can she force me to find or accept a subletter or is she still liable to pay her half the rent?

Lease signed and not moved in [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I signed the leasing documents with an apartment on July 16'th for one year and the move in date was August 1'st. I have a situation where I may have to go to my home country for sometime because of my fathers health condition and I am leaving on August 12'th. I am not sure...

Co signed car loan and title [ 12 Answers ]

I cosigned on an auto loan with our daughter. The car title and loan are in both of our names. She is going to move out and has been unreliable in making payments. I have had to bail her out more than once. I want her to either get the loan and title in her name alone or turn in her car. She...

Real Estate Contract signed under duress [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were considering purchasing a home but decided against it due to discovering some problems with the wastewater disposal system. A bit of a legal "dogfight" ensued after we tried to get released from the contract but the matter has finally been resolved. As a piece of sidebar...

View more questions Search