Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Oct 5, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Is Jesus the Father? III
    When Jesus sent His disciples into the world He commanded them to baptise penitent believers "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." (Matt. 18.19.) These three personages are understood by believers in the Bible to constitute the Godhead. The Bible has shown that the Father and Son are separate personages. It is just as evident, from the Scriptures, that the Holy Ghost is as much a separate and distinct personage as are the other two. Concerning the enormity of sinning against the Holy Ghost, Jesus said: "Wherefore I say unto you, all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come." (Matt. 12.31-32). Again, Verily I say unto you, all sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme; but he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation." (Mark 3.28-29.)

In these quotations, there is a distinct separation between the personality of the Saviour and that of the Holy Ghost. Jesus, in speaking of those who should believe and obey Him, used this language: "He that believeth on me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive; for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified." (John 7.38, 39.) It appears from this statement that while Jesus was the representative of the Godhead to men in the flesh, at least for a period, the Holy Ghost had not come to officiate at that time as a personal witness of the Father and the Son to the children of men. To corroborate this idea, we quote from the sixteenth chapter of John, seventh verse: "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you." That this Comforter is the Holy Ghost is evident from the fourteenth chapter of St. John, sixteenth and twenty-sixth verses: "And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you forever. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." Further: "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of Truth, which proceedeth from the Father, He shall testify of me." (John, 15.26.)

These promises are so definite that no one could reasonably mingle the personality of the Holy Ghost with that of either the Father or the Son. After the crucifixion and resurrection of the Saviour, and when He had spent forty days with His disciples before His ascension, instructing them preparatory to their great mission, before He allowed them to go out, He reminded them of the promise which He had made to them, and commanded them to tarry at Jerusalem "until ye be endued with power from on high." (Luke 24.49.) This promise was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost, when the powers of the Holy Ghost were manifest through His glorious gifts, which attended the apostles on that occasion. On that great day the Holy Ghost as a gift for their permanent guidance, was promised to all without distinction of time or place, if they would have faith, repent and be baptised by divine authority.

The personality of the Holy Ghost as a minister for God has been enjoyed in every dispensation of the Gospel. "Men and brethren, this Scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake." (Acts 1.16.) Again: "Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost; as your fathers did, so do ye." (Acts 7.51.) This is proof that David and the prophets spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost, as did the disciples in the dispensation of Christ; also that the ancients rejected the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, as did the people in the days of the apostles. The apostle Peter says: "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man; but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." (II Peter 1.21.)

No one by reading the Scriptures can reasonably deduce therefrom that divinely authorised men were justified in their official ministrations in speaking by any other power than that of the Holy Ghost. Paul says: "No man can say that Jesus is the Lord but by the Holy Ghost." (I Cor. 12.3.)

The great gifts of the Spirit need not be repeated here; but the character of those gifts and the constant necessity for their existence, together with the passages quoted here, are positive proof that the Holy Ghost is one of the Deity and a separate personage from the Father and Son. At the Baptism of the Messiah He was present in the waters of the Jordan with John the Baptist. The Father was in the heavens above, and His voice was heard, while the Holy Ghost descended upon the Saviour, as witnessed by its appearance in the form of a dove. The Father, Son and Holy Ghost. The three constitute the great, supreme Godhead, yet are as separate and distinct in their personalities as any earthly parents and the children.

M:)RGANITE

Check out some similar questions!

Did Jesus Ever Say He was God? [ 252 Answers ]

:confused: Is Jesus Christ God? Investigate these interesting claims... The earliest followers of Jesus all seemed pretty convinced that Jesus was fully God in human form. Paul said, "He is the image of the invisible God...in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell." John said...

Jesus and God [ 12 Answers ]

1 John 2:1 MY little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: An advocate is someone who pleads another's case before a judge, in this case God. I remembered this verse two days ago and...

Did Jesus say He was God the Father? [ 74 Answers ]

The Bible shows God to be a distinct personage from Jesus Christ, who is a separate and distinct personage from God the Father, and from the Holy Ghost according to the New Testament. Thus, the Eternal Father, his Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are separate entities, perfectly distinct and...

Jesus [ 17 Answers ]

When did jesus learn he was christ?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.