Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BaseballMom88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 06:32 AM
    Above ground Solar Panel Pool heaters
    Has anyone had any experience with these 20 ft. solar panels (not solar covers) for heating above ground swimming pools? I have a 21ft round pool that gets full unfiltered sun from morning to night without any trees in the area. I am looking into a heater but a gas or electric seems a little overkill and expensive since my pool gets full sun all day and I just want to kick up the temp to get a little more life out of the pool since I live in the suburbs of Chicago where the season for swimming isn't as long.
    Was wondering if these solar panels really do raise the temp the 10deg as they claim. I have space where a panel would receive direct sunlight all day and have a 2 speed pump which I believe they need. How far can these panels be placed away from the pump as they show roof installation etc... Guess pvc plumbing would ne required then for longer distances..
    Any info on these would be great before I buy and waste my money..
    Thanks Karen...
    hvacgal Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 31, 2009, 06:49 AM

Solar panels do work I went to a seminar run by a guy who installs them.

He showed us work he had done on solar panel snow melts where he used solar panels here in Canada to melt snow in the winter off driveways using only solar panels.

I have a friend who installed them for her pool and loves them.

They are also better for your pocket in the long run.

Good luck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 31, 2009, 07:30 PM

I installed a set of panels about 10x20 and they did work well. Howvere, if you plan to install on a roof your existing pump may not be big enough to lift the water and still maintain the flow rate.
    BaseballMom88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 11:15 AM

I just want to make sure that everyone knows this is the type of solar heater I am referring to... they are specifically for pools.
    No I wouldn't put it on a roof, but next to my pool facing south with full sun exposure all day...
    http://www.waterwarehouse.com/itm_img/6860.jpg
    If my water is typically 80 deg is it reasonable to expect it to reach 90 with these panels or is that a stretch...

I appreciate both above responses...
    Thanks Karen...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2009, 03:02 PM

That is the type I pictured and I did mount it on the roof. Will it reach 90 degrees, maybe for a month or two. Your water temp is not going to be 80 for quite some time, when it reaches 80 the heater can add 10 degrees. However. Its likely you will hit 80 around the middle of July, by September the temp is going to drop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Solar heating system for a/g pool [ 3 Answers ]

Hi looking to buy solar heating system for my above ground pool, which is the best and is it possible to run the piping from abour 30 ft away from the pool so as to get full sun all day andddddddd some companies state they have more tubes per ft is this really all that relevant Thanking you in...

Solar heating panel [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a good bok on solar heating panels which gives design data on length and diameter of piping per square foot of panel? Thanks

Solar Panel Power [ 2 Answers ]

A solar panel is rated 100W 12V. What would be the out-put of the same panel at 24V

View more questions Search