Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkmat1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Annoying Active X pop-ups
    How do I stop the little Acitve X box from popping up on every site and window? The question it always ask is "Do you want to allow software such as Active X controls and plug-ins to run?"
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

May 30, 2009, 09:58 PM

Well they certainly aren't on "every" site unless you're visiting a very limited number of web sites.

In a further post please indicate your choice between allowing the ActiveX controls to run or denying them without receiving the prompt. Also indicate which version of Internet Explorer you are using. Most versions have an "Internet Options" function on the "Tools" menu with a security tab. That security tab should allow you to classify sites into "Zones" with a different combination of settings for each zone. One of the available settings is the option to allow the browser to run ActiveX controls without the prompt.

You should be able to completely avoid the ActiveX controls and prompts about running them by installing an alternate web browser like Google's Chrome or Mozilla's Firefox. You should be able to have multiple web browsers on your system, allowing you to temporarily revert back to Internet Explorer for those sites that insist upon it.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 31, 2009, 12:16 AM

Have you changed any of the settings? I don't know about 7 & 8 cause I've never gone past 6. (I mostly use Firefox.) But in IE6 the Medium setting is default and those prompts aren't on.

Go to Tools, Internet Options, then the Security Tab. Make sure it's set on Internet in the box at the top. See if it's set to Medium or something else. Then click on Custom Level. If it's set to Medium and you just want to have it on default, just click the Reset button. Otherwise... like if it's on High or something else has been changed and you don't want default, then scroll to the Active X junk and see what is set on Prompt. You can change those to Enable. However, you want to have "unsigned" and "not marked for safe" on Disable. You can also disable everything if you want, but you'll be losing functionality - so that's up to you. Also depends on how much "iffy" stuff you do.

Whether you want to mess with setting Trusted Sites and all that junk is also up to you. Depends how much you know and how much trouble you want to go to. I don't bother cause the only stuff I use IE for is generally stuff I reasonably trust and Medium default works fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Annoying me. [ 3 Answers ]

I remember this song form a while ago. And the video for it is like... A forest and all the animals come out. And then they rock out and it turns dark and all the animals run away. Lol. I might sound nuts. But its not no disney song. It's a "pop" or "rock" song. I don't know. It used to...

Annoying Notifications in Vista IE about Active X [ 1 Answers ]

My father-in-law just bought a Dell Studio laptop running Windows Vista. Almost every time I visit a web page, new or old, an annoying notification keeps popping up. It reads "Do you want to allow software such as ActiveX controls and plug-ins to run?" How do I stop this notification?

Annoying ads [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! Do anyone know of a good,honest(free)ad blocker out there, I did have PC guard with virgin media good for the ads but not good in virus or spyware detection :mad: so I removed it and changed to mcafee total protection but it don't do ads:eek: so if you know of a good ad blocker it would make...

Annoying pop ups [ 1 Answers ]

I am running windows xp professional on an Hp laptop. I have got internet explorer 7 but have recently been plagued by annoying pop ups every time I go online. The worst one is C:\program files\PeDevice\tmp\tmp.html in a internet window, though it is an empty box, it seems to pop up three to four...

Annoying [ 3 Answers ]

How do you repair your msn messenger. I have a problem where this thing called msn block cheaker keeps on poppin up constently not letting me talk to my other contacts plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me what can I do I've tried everything:mad:

View more questions Search