Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bethman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Dog smell in carpet from peeing how do I get the smell out/
    How do I get the dog pee smell out of my carpet?
    MarikMom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2006, 09:56 AM
    It kind of depends on how long it's been there. You can start with neutrilizing it. Take equal parts white vinegar and water and put in spray bottle. Thoroughly soak area, cover with a folded towel and place a very heavy object over it. The heavey object helps draw the moisture out of the carpet. Replace towel every day until carpet is dry. Then get carpet fresh arm and hammer pwder, spread liberally, then vacuum it up. If that doesn't work, my suggestion is to go to home depot or somewhere like it and rent a carpet shampooer. That's usually a final resort though. Trust me I've had to do this a few times. Hope it helps.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Oct 5, 2006, 06:56 PM
    Go to your local janitorial supply store. They have an enzyme that can be mixed with water. You have to soak the carpet through to the pad, and keep it damp for 24 hrs to allow the enzyme to work. Covering the wet area with plastic wrap can work. The enzyme actually eats the waste material. Depending on how bad the urine has soaked the carpet, you may have to pull it up, with the pad, and treat the sub floor to get rid of the odor. I hope this helps.
    goodneighborswanted Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Oct 5, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Schwept's (sp) Tonic Water. Works on cat urine which I think is stronger then dog. Just dump it on, let it soak and then use a carpet cleaner. Cheaper then all the expensive things. Suggest a small area, sponge and see what happens. Hope this helps.
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Oct 10, 2006, 08:21 PM
    You might also try a product called "Nature's Miracle." It is available at most pet stores. Actually, I think that it works with an enzyme, maybe similar to what Dr D mentioned. You can just spray it on and let it set for a short time, and thin wipe it up with a towel. I have also used it in my carpet scrubber for real bad stains and it works great.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 06:52 PM
    There are carpet cleaning suggestions in the housebreaking sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

Since you posted the question it may be too late for a prompt clean up to be good enough. Most of the suggestions above sound good. I think I have to agree on avoiding sugar. The ants may eventually clean it up for you.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
    A product called Urine Gone was sold on t.v but you can now get it in the big chain stores... walgreens , kmart, walmart etc.. soak up as much urine as possible and then apply the urine gone when it drys the odor will be gone... if the stain is old it will work on it... you must let the urine gone dry on its own, no dabbing at it while it is wet... a fan is OK though. Hope you give it a try
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 07:24 AM
    People believe me it works... I have a little pomy that has bladder problems... and my genuis hubby decided to install a room of carpeting... not a good idea looks like he is going to have to install a doggy door or take stock in Urine Gone company cause it really does work if u follow the label. I am very impressed by this product:)
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Jun 1, 2007, 07:27 AM
    If you really wan't it to disappear, try a 90% pool chlorine (2 gal jugs avail at any pool store and 10% water) guarranteed to eliminate the smell, the color, probably the synthetic fibers, and under layments at well... lol.. just joking.. Urine Gone is great stuff... use that...
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 07:29 AM
    If it will get me a new hardwood floor... I just may try it:)
    pica_chooo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 10:12 PM
    I used Nature's Miracle on a fresh pee spot. I POURED it on there. I let it soak clear to the pad. Then I vacuumed it up. Got to love shop vacs! Anyway, if I get down and smell the carpet I can still smell pee. How long does it take for the enzymes/bacteria to eat the odor? I am pretty sure it's the pad that has the smell, because I cleaned the crap out of the carpet. It has only been 36 hrs since this event. Could it just need time to eat all th odor? How long should I have let the Nature's Miracle soak in before cleaning it up?
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 03:54 AM
    The housebreaking sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 contains some advice on cleaning carpets.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 10:17 AM
    I use a product called Urine Gone. It has worked wonders for a couple of spots on my carpet. You must follow directions exactly. It cost about 10.00 a bottle at walgreens, cvs, or kmart.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 12:13 PM
    I am posting this here in response to your email. Others may have the same questions.

The purpose of the sticky is to avoid posting the same material over and over again. There are 3 things you need to note in the sticky.

Blotting up as much as possible of the urine is best, but too late in this case.

If you are having a problem, leaving some residual odor alerts you to the dog returning to the spot.

Once the problem is solved, you may need to steam clean the whole carpet.

There are several reasons a dog will urinate in the house. If it is a housebreaking problem, that is well covered in the sticky.

If it is a UTI or other physical problem, the dog needs to see the vet.

If the dog is deliberately marking in the house, it needs better leadership and spay/neutered if not already and old enough. If you need more help on stopping the dog from urinating in the house again, post back with more details.
    slmerrick Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 24, 2008, 10:51 PM
    Hi,
    My name is Sherri, I signed up for this account because I wanted to share this information with everyone. I have three cats. I moved into a place where other cats lived before and my cats went crazy marking and peeing all over everything. I tried all the other products mentioned... nothing got the smell out. Looked on internet and found a product that takes it all away. I mean no trace of any smell what so ever.

I would recommend SCOE 10x. Look it up online. I bought it and it worked. Try it!
    CalliDee Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2008, 02:31 PM
    I have had dogs my whole life the best thing I have used is Pine sol. Use carefully on carpet as it has pine oil in it. Dilute it down and add a little liquid laundry soap so there is no oil residue ( oil residue will pick up dirt) Note:it is alos fabulous for getting rid of fleas. It kills the instantly! It is the only solution that the dogs can't smell, as if they smell it they will go on that spot.
    slmerrick Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CalliDee
    I have had dogs my whole life the best thing I have used is Pine sol. Use carefully on carpet as it has pine oil in it. dilute it down and add a little liquid laundry soap so there is no oil residue ( oil residue will pick up dirt) Note:it is alos fabulous for getting rid of fleas. It kills the instantly! It is the only solution that the dogs can't smell, as if they smell it they will go on that spot.
    Hi CalliDee,
    That's good to know! Thanks, I'll try it next time I have a situation.
    slmerrick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Foul Smell [ 11 Answers ]

I've owned my house for about 7 years now. The house is about 22 years old. Recently I ve had black particles coming out of the toilet when flushed and also, at times I smell a sewer smell coming out of my kitchen sink. The smell only stays for a couple of seconds. Can anyone tell me what I should...

Penis smell? [ 21 Answers ]

Hey I'm a UC (un cercumsised) and I wash everyday but sometimes it smells a litlle bit anysuggestions on new soaps or what I'm doing wrong Help would be apreciated Peace (im15 by the way)

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

Gas smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem that my plumber has been unable to fix on a couple of occasions. Very simply put, soon after I turn on the shower, a couple of minutes or so, I get a terrible rotten egg (sewer gas?) smell. I can't tell if it starts when it starts steaming up or just because. Shower is used...

Smell after AC is ran. [ 2 Answers ]

I been getting a strange smell after the AC is ran almost like a gaseous smell, we been redoing the hardwood floors and trying to keep well ventilated with windows open and AC on to keep humidity down. I check all the gas lines with my meter for leaks and none found, could this smell be freon? Or...

View more questions Search