Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larmex Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 12:27 AM
    Ceiling Fan light dim with fan switch
    I have installed a new ibiza Hampton Bay ceiling fan. There was two cables from ceiling, black and white. And four from motor of the fan: green (ground) white (common), black (fan) and blue (light). I put together blue and black cables from motor fan with black ceiling cable, white to white, and discarded green (ungrounded installation, sorry). I installed the light fixture and then the double wall switch. In top is the fan control, with 3 speeds, and below is the light switch. But when a turn on fan in max speed, the lamp of the fan bright in high intensity. When a switch to low speed, the light decrease intensity, as the fan. What is wrong? please I need help!
    NOTE: the light cables from switch wall are both black.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 30, 2009, 04:51 AM

A wire is a wire. A cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. You said that there is two cables (wires) in the ceiling, black and white. You also said that the cables (wires)from the switch to the ceiling are both black.
    Do you see the contradiction? There has to be additional wires in the ceiling or the switch.

There should be either
    2 wires in the switch and 2 wires in the ceiling or
    2 wire in the switch and 4 wires in the ceiling or
    4 wires in the switch and 2 wires in the ceiling.

May 30, 2009, 08:51 AM
    I´m sorry for the confussion, I live in Mexico and don't speak english very well. Here are pictures from wall switch of the fan. I hope this can help to explain myself.

Thanks again.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2009, 09:00 AM

If you want to operate the fan speed separate from the light you would need more than just a black and a white wire in the ceiling.
    You would need to either:
    • rewire
    • use a regular switch on the wall and use the chains on the fan
    • or buy a remote to mount on the wall and a sensor would go up inside the fan.

Does that make sense? Right now you just have one hot wire (the black) and if you're trying to operate the fan light and the speed separately you can't because you have them connected to the same hot wire.

May 30, 2009, 09:36 AM
    If a rewire adding a second hot wire, will this solve the problem? It seems for me easier to add a second hot wire, keeping the wall control came with the fan.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 30, 2009, 09:43 AM

ZoeMarie is correct. You need another wire between the switch and the fan.

One wire will be connected to the black in the ceiling and take the electricity to the switch.

The second wire will take the electricity back to the ceiling from the switch and be connected to the black of the fan/light fixture.

The third wire will take the electricity back to the ceiling and be connected to the blue wire of the fan/light.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 06:11 PM

Adding a second hot wire is probably your best option.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Jun 1, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Thank you everyone, I'll try to add a second hot wire, this weekend, then I'll reply to comment how does this finish...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

Ceiling fan/light from one switch to two [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everybody. I want to replace one overhead track light controlled by one switch with a ceiling fan combo with 2 switches controlling the fan and light separately. I purchased a new box, another light switch, a faceplate, and some wiring today but I wanted to get some advice before I get into it....

Ceiling fan light switch [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change the switch controlling the light in a ceiling fan?

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

View more questions Search