Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diybob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 09:06 PM
    Replacement capacitor for a ceiling fan
    I need to replace a shorted capacitor on my ceiling fan. I traced it to the 6uf 250v cap that is part of the 3-capacitor module which has 4.5uf 280v, 5uf 250v and 6uf 250v. Rather than replace the entire module I want to replace the single 6uf cap with a new one. The question is about which caps are OK to use and at what voltage rating. Does any cap with a value around 6uf and a rating of 250v OK? Is the voltage rating DC or AC? The ratings on the module just say 250v (or 280v for the 4.5uf). If this refers to DC or AC, it makes a big difference in the rating of the replacement cap. What is the peak-to-peak voltage these caps see? And would any cap rated at just 250v work in this application?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 09:33 PM

Take a look here: CeilingFanParts.com - Switchco Products - Capacitors

They are rated for AC. DO NOT use a cap rated for DC.

0 to peak of 120 V is about 155 V. Twice 120 is about 240, so 250 VAC is a good number.

Note that they have different arrangements.
    diybob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Thanks for your input regarding cap voltage ratings.

Do you know why the 4.5uf cap is rated at 280v whereas the other 2 are rated at 250v? If I replace the module with a new one where all 3 caps are rated at 250v, would there be a problem? (FYI, the peak voltage for a 120VAC (RMS) line voltage is 170v peak, or 339v p-p)
    Uber Member

May 30, 2009, 07:47 AM

Not a problem.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 06:09 PM

I would still replace the entire module, if one fails it is likely the rest will.

Strat is correct, they are AC caps, 250vAC is perfect.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...capacitors.php
    01COOLDUDE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2013, 08:27 AM
    I need to replace a shorted capacitor on my ceiling fan.
    I traced it to 4.5uf, 10 over 5, I don't know what that 10 over 5 means, but it's a
    LUNG CHANG 4.5uf, 280WV AC .
    That's all the info there is.
    Can not find one, because its all old one.
    What can I use, please help.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2013, 10:27 AM
    CeilingFanParts.com - Switchco Products - 2-Wire Capacitors

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capacitor on a ceiling fan [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everybody. Newbie on this forum. My ceiling fan is out of order due to capacitor burnout. It is 2.25 MFD. Even when it was working fine, I felt it was not running at full RPM revolutions per minute. My friend suggested that replacing old capacitor with 4 MFD will help resolve RPM...

Capacitor replacement [ 2 Answers ]

MY sons A/C outside fan stops running yesterday. Here in GA it was hot as Obama. Having a rental unit not in use and it being Sunday I removed the capicitor from the rental unit's A/C. However it was a 440 VAC 60 Hz the originl was a 370 VAC 50-60 Hz. My question although the capacitor worked...

SMC ceiling fan capacitor [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know where to obtain a replacement three lead 2.5+4uF capacitor for a model X42M-ML SMC ceiling fan in South Africa or on the internet.

Ceiling Fan Capacitor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Pasadena ceiling fan that started sparking from the light sockets. The fixture sockets and wiring ring out OK and my guess is that the capacitor has an internal problem. It is a 4-wire cap with the blue (light wire) supplying the light fixture. The original is a 3.5uf, 4 uf, 4.5 uf and...

Ceiling fan capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

The fan is a Hunter. In the housing holding the pull chain is a 5-wire capacitor. I bought a pull chain switch 5-8 wire switch with a capacitors in it, brand Harbor Breeze. Will this replacement switch work if the capacitor in it is bad. Or where might I buy a capacitor for it. The capacitor is...

View more questions Search