Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NormanE3D Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Lived Apart 25 years, Kids Grown Up
    I was married 26 years ago. We lived together for a year before marriage, had two kids and then we split up, her female lover moved in and they kicked me out. She relocated to California and I followed to be close to kids but we have not been together for over 26 years. Is there such a thing as common law divorice? Do I have to pay for a divorice even after all these years?
    NormanE3D Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 06:32 PM
    Lived Apart 25 years, Kids Grown Up
    I was married 26 years ago. We lived together for a year before marriage, had two kids and then we split up, her female lover moved in and they kicked me out. She relocated to California and I followed to be close to kids but we have not been together for over 26 years. Is there such a thing as common law divorice? Do I have to pay for a divorice even after all these years? I guess I will just get domestic partnership and screw it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2009, 06:43 PM

There is no common law divorce and there are actually legal issues of being still married,

You can ask for them to pay all or part of the costs
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 30, 2009, 12:16 PM

There is no common law marriage in California but there is a rule that states if you filed for divorce and you don't move on it for about 5 years the courts will dismiss the action.. meaning your married all over again and have to restart the paperwork.

Since you have lived separate lives you shouldn't have too hard a time getting a mutal agreement on the divorce and it should go quickly. At this time your not entitled to domestic partnership and for your sake I hope you have been filing married and separate on your tax returns.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2009, 12:37 PM
    No there isn't, but you have sufficient grounds for a no fault divorce that will not cost you very much.

I'm curious, though, as to why you suddenly want a divorce after all this time?

P.S. I've merged your threads, please don't ask the same question under different forums.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell Grown Kids Moms Cheating? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, My wife and I have had a relationship that has been going downhill rapidly the last 4 years. Lost my business, lost my house, had an operation, 7 jobs, great credit to poor, etc. During this timeframe I had begged my wife to get a job to help, Finally did after 3 years, but after we lost...

They've lived apart for seven years [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and his wife have lived apart for over seven years. They do NOT live as husband and wife. Do they still have be legally divorced or is there a statute to this to where he can be classified as divorced?

Hi, I'm a grown man. My parents got married years ago but I now want to add his name [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a grown man, and the first child for my mom. My parents got married years ago but I still goes by my mom's last name. How do I add my father's name to my birth records?

Can I claim my sister kid 4 kids on tax return? If the lived withme? [ 1 Answers ]

If I have been supporting my sister's 4 kids for 12 months. Can I claim them as tax exemptions?

Have not lived with husband in 4 years [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have not lived with my husband in four years. Since he's had a son by another woman and living His life. I want to get an annulment or divorce but Don't have his address. How can I get out of this sticky Situation

View more questions Search