Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morrisont Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Filing State Taxes as A California Resident Possible?
    Hello All,

I have been in CA over a year now and want to establish and maintain residency here. I recently filed a return at H&R Block and they filed my return using the Non-Resident / Part-Year Resident form.

I would like to amend this and file as a RESIDENT. I realized each state has different regulations for what constitutes a full-fledged resident but if I was the state for over 6 months (6 and a week or two) shouldn't I be allowed to pay the state MORE taxes then I might otherwise owe? It seems silly that I might not be allowed to do this but it seemed to be what the H&R people thought (although they made a lot of mistakes so I don't have much confidence in them).

Bottom line, whether most people do it or not I don't really care, but is it PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE to file a regular "Resident" form for 2008 if I came to California in May and stayed throughout the year?

If anyone can help please let me know!

Thanks
    morrisont Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
    California State Taxes, Resident vs Part-Year Resident
    Hello All,

I have been in CA over a year now and want to establish and maintain residency here. I recently filed a return at H&R Block and they filed my return using the Non-Resident / Part-Year Resident form.

I would like to amend this and file as a RESIDENT. I realized each state has different regulations for what constitutes a full-fledged resident but if I was the state for over 6 months (6 and a week or two) shouldn't I be allowed to pay the state MORE taxes then I might otherwise owe? It seems silly that I might not be allowed to do this but it seemed to be what the H&R people thought (although they made a lot of mistakes so I don't have much confidence in them).

Bottom line, whether most people do it or not I don't really care, but is it PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE to file a regular "Resident" form for 2008 if I came to California in May and stayed throughout the year?

If anyone can help please let me know!

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2009, 05:48 PM

Posts merged please only asked one time
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 30, 2009, 10:29 PM

For 2008 you are resident of CA from May 2008 to Dec 2008, which means you are part year resident for your 2008 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

E-Filing California State return without spouse ITIN ? [ 2 Answers ]

I am applying for wife's ITIN number(not eligible for SSN) with this year federal return i.e.submitting Federal tax return along with W7 through mail. For State tax return, Can I submit California State return online(e-file) without wife's ITIN number? Looking forward to your replies...

Filing Taxes on L1 Visa am I a resident or non resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Filing taxes on an L1 visa am I a resident or non resident alien. Ihave been working since May 2008 Thanks

Married Filing Separately - Spouse non-resident, not filing you.s. Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is a Canadian resident. We got married in the US in April 2008. We are separated and did not live together during the 2008 tax year and my husband has never lived in the US and has never earned any US income. I am planning to file...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search