Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ba3k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 11:35 PM
    Spare key does not turn in the ignition
    First of all I would like to say hello and I am new to Ask Me Help Desk Forums.

My problem started with the key breaking in half while it was in the ignition.

I was on my way home, parked, and turned the engine off. I then pulled the keys out of the ignition. As I was getting out of the car, I heard the beeping sounds that indicate the keys are still in the ignition. I saw that I had the keys in my hand, and thought it was the lights. Nope. Then I looked at my keychain to find out that the key broke inside the ignition.

I then put the head part of the key in the ignition, turned it and it started. I thought all was OK (for the meantime) and again turned off the engine. This time though, I pressed the key release button to turn the key all the way. I once again attempted to start the car, but this time the key did not turn.

I then tried various means to try to get the broken key piece out of the ignition. After researching online with those who had similar problems, I tried a few methods to extract the broken key. I tried super glue at first (a tiny tiny amount), then I tried a fish hook, and then some needle nose tweezers. All to no avail.

I gave up trying and now called a locksmith. Once he got the key out, I then tried to put my spare key in and start the car. The spare did not turn. I then inspected the spare and found that it was the same except for the first cut.

Is my spare a 'valet key' (as I opened the trunk no problem) or could it be that the wafers or pins inside my ignition are messed up?

If anyone could assist me w/this problem would be greatly appreciated.

My car is a 1995 Nissan 240 SX SE
    charlie123 Posts: 93, Reputation: 19

Oct 10, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba3k
    First of all I would like to say hello and I am new to Ask Me Help Desk Forums.

My problem started with the key breaking in half while it was in the ignition.

I was on my way home, parked, and turned the engine off. I then pulled the keys out of the ignition. As I was getting out of the car, I heard the beeping sounds that indicate the keys are still in the ignition. I saw that I had the keys in my hand, and thought it was the lights. Nope. Then I looked at my keychain to find out that the key broke inside the ignition.

I then put the head part of the key in the ignition, turned it and it started. I thought all was ok (for the meantime) and again turned off the engine. This time though, I pressed the key release button to turn the key all the way. I once again attempted to start the car, but this time the key did not turn.

I then tried various means to try to get the broken key piece out of the ignition. After researching online with those who had similar problems, I tried a few methods to extract the broken key. I tried super glue at first (a tiny tiny amount), then I tried a fish hook, and then some needle nose tweezers. all to no avail.

I gave up trying and now called a locksmith. Once he got the key out, I then tried to put my spare key in and start the car. The spare did not turn. I then inspected the spare and found that it was the same except for the first cut.

Is my spare a 'valet key' (as I opened the trunk no problem) or could it be that the wafers or pins inside my ignition are messed up?

If anyone could assist me w/this problem would be greatly appreciated.

My car is a 1995 Nissan 240 SX SE
    I am no car expert - but we have a spare key that only opens the doors. Maybe that's the case for you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2006, 10:06 AM
    A valet key turns the ignition but doesn't open the glove compartment or trunk. I don't know if your car has an encoded key. This is a key with a chip in it that the ignition needs to recognize. A 1995 vintage may not have such a key.

But its also possible that the ignition was damaged and you may need it replaced with all your locks rekeyed.
    Ba3k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Thank you for your response. Looks like I may have to replace the ignition. Maybe the tumblers were damaged or the other guess I have is the key release button. It seems to be stuck in the pushed position.
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Dec 11, 2006, 02:24 AM
    The valet key doesn't start the car because it doesn't have a resistor built into it. Many people think that the key has a computer chip. It is far more simple than that.
    The key and the ignition solenoid switch work in consort to complete an electrical circuit. When the circuit is incomplete the car will not start from the ignition.
    Certain trained locksmiths have access codes that they can imbed into the resistor. They only need the vehicle ID number and proof that it is your car. Same thing can be done at the dealership.
    FYI, a lot of these problems can be avoided by putting only the key into the ignition and eliminating all the weight from an other objects on the keychain. Some people have a charm bracelet of junk dangling from the ignition key. Use a quick release key holder for the ignition key and snap it back on when you finish driving.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by augustknight
    The valet key doesn't start the car because it doesn't have a resistor built into it.
    I think you have this backward. The valet key is for parking attendants to park the car without giving them access to the locked area like trunks and glove compartments.

The rest was good info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ignition problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Miller propane furnace with hot surface ignition. Most of the time it starts and ignites fine, but sometimes the furnace will start but will not light until you open the door and shut it so it resets.I have replaced the Honeywell single try hot suface igniter with a new 3-try igniter. It...

Turn ignition key: it just clicks [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1982 dodge D150 with a straight 6 auto and someone messed with it and know when I turn the key all it dose is click how do I fix this problem

Pool Heater Ignition [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get the pool heater to kick on. Instead of the heater igniting, I am receiving a fault code of “Open Air Pressure Switch” and the SERVICE LED is light. Is this something that I can easily reset or do I need a technician to come out?

View more questions Search