Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahb19 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2009, 08:41 AM
    So buy a new distributor housing thing? is the ckp a crankshaft position sensor because its throwing a #4 code which according to everything I've found online is a crankshaft position sensor but we couldn't find that sensor on the car or at autozone to buy it... how exactly do I find a distibutor housing?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 09:18 AM

Yes, your problem is almost solved. You definitely need a new distributor housing, since the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) is inside the distributor housing. Go to Honda, or buy a Honda distributor housing online. Then, install the new ICM in the new distributor housing. Reuse your existing distributor cap. This link should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post288473

Doing it this way, you will not have wasted any money. Honda distributor housings tend to last around 90,000 miles--after that the bearing and sensors go.

Jun 1, 2009, 10:50 AM
    Is a distributor the same as distributor housing?? will it come with all the sensors in it?
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 12:13 PM

When you say a complete Honda distributor, most people think of a component consisting of the distributor cap, rotor, ICM, internal sensors (Cranshaft Position Sensor, Cylinder Position Sensor, and Top Dead Center Sensor), inside a housing. The housing consists of all the internal sensors, but it does not come with the distributor cap, rotor, and ICM--therefore, it's cheaper.

Jun 1, 2009, 02:31 PM
    Well we ordered a distributor and it does not come with a rotor or cap but does come with the ICM so hopefully it's the right one with all the sensors and stuff.
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 02:46 PM

That's fine. However, if you ordered one without an ICM, you'd save money and be able to use the new one you bought from AutoZone.

Jun 1, 2009, 04:08 PM
    I know but I couldn't find one that was the right kind for his car.if it doesn't start after we replace this than I give up!

Jun 3, 2009, 09:34 PM
    Hey I got another question but its about my car... today it started surging when its in park and nuetral.the RPM goes up than down than up than down even though I'm not pushing the gas pedal and its in park or nuetral.any ideas on what it could be?oh and my car is a 2002 mitsubishi lancer
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 05:50 AM

Clean the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV):

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1054149

Jun 4, 2009, 06:57 AM
    Where is the IACV on a lancer
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 07:22 AM

Either on top or on the back of the throttle body. It would be best if you bought a Haynes Manual for your car.

Jun 4, 2009, 08:21 AM
    OK... also, we replaced the distributor on the honda and the car still dies out almost right after being started when given gas.my fiancé thinks its bad gas causing it because the inside of his tank was all rusted and he cleaned it out but yesterday he let some gas out of it and it was a dark orangeish reddish color.do you think bad gas would now be the problem?
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 09:10 AM

Rust in a tank is nasty and almost impossible to get rid of--it just keeps coming back. My experience has been that the only thing that works is replacing the tank and changing the fuel filter.

Jun 4, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Well he just put in a new fuel filter and clean gas and the car starts than dies and than won't start back up

Jun 4, 2009, 03:43 PM
    Where is the fuel pipe located at
    billy goat 1979 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 01:55 PM

Another trick is to pull out an o2 sensor or drop exhaust before cat.. poss pluged cat.. fixed 3 hondas and one jeep this way

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 Honda civic dies during driving [ 2 Answers ]

My 200 Honda Civic suddenly dies during driving. After switching everything off, I can start it back up normally in a few minutes. I have 112k on it.What can be the problem?

Civic '89 fires up and dies down after 2 sec [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have Hona Civic '89. I had intermittent start up problems on hot weather recently so I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and coil (I think this was the fault) and it worked fine after that. After about three week of good starts now it will fire and engine turn but then dies down after...

97 civic dies while running? [ 1 Answers ]

My 97 civic has been running fine up until today. I started my car and while I was letting it warm up, (about 5 minutes approximately) it died. So I started it up again and it ran fine. As I was backing up down the driveway to leave somewhere, I got to the stoplight by my house and just as I...

1993 HB civic d15 dies when running [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda HB with a d15 it runs, run and runs then after awhile it goes all crazys then shuts of when I jump start it, it turns on and runs for a little then shuts off what can it be?

View more questions Search