Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hellovicky Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Keys stuck in ignition and battery is dead for my Subaru Forester
    I'm from California, and I drive a 2002 Subaru Forester.
    Today I was getting out of my car when I realized that I left the window open. I put the keys back in to close the window, then got distracted by my friends and stupidly left the keys in the ignition in on.

I came back around 2 hours later to find the keys stuck in the ignition (luckily I had left the door unlocked). I'm pretty sure the battery is dead, and I can't turn the key back to the 0 position because it makes a clicking noise. I'm not sure if it's the alarm or not. So I have to leave the key in 2, but no matter what I do the key won't come out.

Somebody told me the transmission is locked, but I don't know what that means. But I would greatly appreciate if anybody could tell me how to make it so that my key can just come out. Then from there I can just borrow a jumper cable and restart the car.

I'm desperate and have no idea what to do so any help is appreciated. Thank you!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 11:18 AM

Remove and charge the battery. Many auto parts stores will do this for free. Don't jump the car, since you increase the chances that a voltage spike could wipe out the ECM, alternator, or important sensors. Disconnect the negative battery cable first and reconnect it last. Record any radio codes, prior to disconnecting the battery.

You may want to give the Subaru service department a quick call and explain the situation to them.

May 29, 2009, 11:21 AM

But can I do that even though my keys won't come out? So I'd have to get it towed to an autoparts shop..
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 11:29 AM

Personally, I'd call the local Subaru dealer and ask them the best course of action. With security systems being what they are these days, it's the safest course of action. I'm just recommending that it's best not to jump the car, because of the potential to damage electronics.

Some Honda automatic transmissions have a release, where, in case of system malfunction, the shift lever can be released by pushing a key into the release slot near the shift lever.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2009, 11:55 AM

Did you try depressing the brake pedal for 5 seconds? The link below may give you some insight on automatic transmission interlock systems:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post258005

May 29, 2009, 03:57 PM
    I got it! Basically just let a car-savvy guy who happened to be in the parking lot take care of it. He used some jumper cables and worked his magic and it eventually worked. The alarm wouldn't stop going off in the middle, but it's all good now!

Thank you for your help :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Subaru Forrester Battery - Won't Start Issue [ 5 Answers ]

I drove my Subaru 20 miles, stopped at the gas station; and it wouldn't start back up. So I got a jump. It started up fine and drove about 3 more miles, shut the car off and it started back up fine again. Why would the battery charge up in 3 miles yet lose its charge in the previous 20 mile...

Keys are stuck [ 3 Answers ]

For some reason a few the keys are not working on the keyboard. They are completely frozen. I hit the keys and nothing happens. Please help. Thank u!

2002 Subaru Forester: Key is stuck in the ignition [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am very new to this site and have found it to be super informative. Hopefully I'll be able to get some help from the users on here. We just bought our 2002 Subaru Forester less than a month ago. Last night, I drove home, put the car in park, turned the car off and tried to remove my...

Battery goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

My battery goes dead over night when I leave the + wire on checked over all wires can't find anything the battery works fine in my other truck can leave it for a week no problems can't figure this one out

View more questions Search