Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenneali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Cosigning leads to responsibility for what car does?
    I am considering co-signing a car loan for my son but don't want any association with being liable for his driving if he hurts someone. If the car is registered in his name and I am the primary on the car loan am I liable? He is an adult.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Hello ken:

Will you be liable?? You could be. You'll for sure be sued.

(Edited) Now I find out that, not only does he not have good credit, he has a sketchy driving record too. Change that "could" be liable above to, probably will be liable.

excon
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2006, 12:07 AM
    Can YOU afford this car loan in your own right? Because if he defaults, they will come after you!!

Honestly, if he can't afford the car on his own, he shouldn't be getting one. Let him buy a used car for a thousand bucks or so, and if he doesn't have the money just yet, have him save up for it.

Do not co-sign this loan for him.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 09:42 AM
    You would not be liable for any damages caused by your son for which he is liable. Hopefully the insurance is in his name as the primary driver ; insist on it. However, if the car is not adequately insured to cover any damage to the car itself, regardless of liability, then as a co-signer on the loan you could be held responsible for satisfying any difference between the principal owed and the amount covered by insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Assuming responsibility [ 6 Answers ]

HI! After have read quite a few entries on different topics here, I decided that we could all benefit a debate about responsibility- ONE of the important keys to healthy relationships. I decided to open it today, after one of Wildcat's inputs, where she assumed relationships concerning one of...

Is it my responsibility? [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented an apartment in GA. My lease ends in March 2006. However, I need to move out because I got a job in another state. I gave them 60days written notice which is required. I went to apartment office to return keys on 28, Jan 2006. They said they will do moving-out inspection on next day,...

Apartments and Cosigning Requirements [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is trying to find an apartment. A rental has come up, but the landlord is requiring that he not only cosign, but have someone in the CITY cosign for him as well. He is - from out of state. - had a house foreclosed on him before. - does have pets (1 cat and 1 dog). Is it...

Buying a car on low income with low responsibility [ 0 Answers ]

I am a student. The car that my parents bought for me doesn't run anymore. I want to buy a new car. My parents have bad credit. My grandparents pay for my schooling, but they will not buy me a car. I only make $5000 to $7500 a year. I have no real financial responsibilities. All of my income is...

Taking responsibility for your own actions [ 2 Answers ]

:'( Well me and my boyfriend have been together for 6 months. We had known each other for awhile before we started dating. We love ech other very much but now it's like daniel tries so hard to make me happy that he tells me what I want to hear instead of what's on his heart. When I...

View more questions Search