- BDP Company
    - make: Payne
    - model #: 569BJ036
    - product #: 569BJX036036000AAAA
    - with an electric furnace
    - outdoor
    - 208-230 volt
    - 5lb 13oz refrigerant

The outside Payne air conditioning unit stopped working in the middle of the night 2 days ago. I've checked the circuit breaker, and the on/off switch outside next to the unit - both were on, I also turned each off and then on again, which didn't work. The electric furnace fan turns on when I set the LUX wall thermostat to "cool" and the fan to "auto" which blows air around in the house - but the outside air conditioning unit doesn't turn on.

Do you have any suggestions? I called a local servicing company and they said it would cost $95.00 just to come out and take a look at the unit. That sounds reasonable, but perhaps there's something I can do first before scheduling that appointment.

Thanks in advance!
    Ben
    hvacgal Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 28, 2009, 06:31 PM

I would have someone turn the breaker off then back on with you standing outside.

1. does the condenser fan turn on?
    2. does the compressor attempt to kick on... do you hear a humming noise when the breaker is turned on?

Start there...

Then if the condenser fan does not turn on... with the power off try to turn the condenser fan by hand... does it move? If not it is pooched...
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 06:33 PM

Do you have a volt meter? May be a bad capasitor.

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/377701..._Capacitor.jpg

It is in the electric pannel on the outside unit check to see if there is a burnt wire, or the top is swollen.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Its not a bad price for a service call. Do you think you may have cut the low voltage wire(thermostat wire) with a weed-eater working around the unit? If you know about electricity you can manually close the contactor to see if you have line voltage going to the A/C. If the unit runs after closing the contactor it's a low voltage problem. The payne system has no low pressure or time delays installed.
    Corlisspivey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Why don't my condenser fan turn on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside air-conditioning unit won't turn on [ 6 Answers ]

Air-conditioning unit on the outside won't come on - fan inside works fine. What would cause the air-conditioning unit not to come on. Thank you.

Payne 13 Seer Central Air Conditioning Units [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know what the difference is between these two Payne Models: Model #PA13NR042-H and Model #PA13NR018-E. Thank you.

New air conditioning unit - Payne [ 16 Answers ]

I live in a condo. All of the units in the building need to new air conditioners because they are all old are will not survive an inpending reroofing. The association got a bid for a company that will put in a new A/C unit for anyone who wants one - it is about $1500 installed. The estimate...

Payne furnace fan does not turn off [ 1 Answers ]

The fan in the furnace keeps running. The heater and the ac works OK but the fan does not Turn off until I unplug the unit. I plug the unit and the fan starts running again. I unplugged The TOTALINE thermostat and it still runs. I disconnected the green wire at the control board And still...

Heating - Payne unit [ 2 Answers ]

My less than 3 year old Payne central heat/air unit will not put out heat. It is 59 degrees in our house today, and we are freezing. No money to hire a repairman. Was wondering if there is anything I could do to check it out. Thanks

View more questions Search