Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flowergurl Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 04:32 PM
    Should I have elective c section?
    Im 40 weeks and 3 days overdue, 1cm dilated baby hasn't dropped yet and ultrasound says she is 10 pounds. My family has a history of large babies and I am a large framed woman with wide hips. My ob recommends elective c sec he says if I go vaginal I run the risk of not delivering successfully or the baby being stuck causing birth trauma so his recommendation is to have elective c section. I would like to have it vaginally but scared of harming the baby. He says there's no way to predict the chances of running into problems but I'd much rather have a vaginal delivery. My grandma who has the same large frame as me delivered my 10 pound mom 60 yrs ago and my mom delivered me at 9lbs 7oz. No complications we are not petite also my dad was a big baby. I know ob is doing his job informing me of risk but it just seems ob's love to push c sec. I don't know exactly how much risk I'm putting my baby in if I wait it out and deliver vaginally.
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

May 28, 2009, 04:56 PM

The same thing happened to me. At 37 weeks they estimate my "no so little one" at well over 10 lbs. At which point my doctor recommended a c-section. I was devastated, I had planned to have a totally natural birth. Long story short, I ended up having the section. Partially because my blood pressure was getting higher, but mostly because of size. My son weighed 9lb5oz. I am currently 31 weeks pregnant with my second child, and am planning to try a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) which is risky, but I just want to know what labor is like.
    The decision is ultimately yours. I did not mind having a c-section, actually thought it was easy. But I never was prepared for the emotional ride afterwards. I felt like my body was a failure, unable to do its job. I still feel that way, but I also have a very healthy son, who may have not been so healthy had I made a different decision. There are majors risks with both. A c-section is major abdominal surgery, which has a lot of risks involved. Once you have one c-section the chances of you being able to have a vaginal birth afterwards are not that great. Most doctors won't even let you try. Giving birth to a baby too large can harm the baby, my doc was concerned about shoulder dystocia (sp?) where the shoulders become stuck and can cause permanent paralysis or even death. (That is what made me make my choice.)
    There are positive sides to both though too. A c-section is scheduled and super FAST. I went in for surgery at 7:05am, my son was born at 7:15 am. I was fortunate I never really had pain, just severe nausea from the drugs. A vaginal delievery (I do not know much about) does not have near the risks associated with surgery.
    Sorry this is long. The decision is yours. Choose what is right for you. I hope everything works out. Keep us posted and let us know what you decide.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

May 28, 2009, 06:01 PM

I suggest that whatever the ob recommends is probably the better idea. I mean, The ob probably knows what he/she is talking about right. Discuss it in depth and make your decision from a practical standpoint.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 07:47 PM

You're in a tough situation to be sure. You may do just fine giving birth vaginally to a 10 pound baby. Baby may or may not be 10 pounds... no way to know for sure even with ultrasound.

If you decide vaginally, there are a number of positions in labor, and when giving birth, to use if they suspect a good sized baby. One of the main problems women run into when they have a good sized baby is laboring lying in bed the majority of the time. Avoiding certain interventions can also decrease the odds of size being an issue.

If you decide on a c-section, there will not be any doubt that baby will be born even if size were a concern.

There are risks either way... might baby be in the group that presents with true shoulder dystocia?. sure, it can happen, and of course a c-section is major surgery with the inherent risks associated with that.

Many OBs and midwives are more cautious today than perhaps they would have been a dozen or so years ago. The current climate is very medically managed, but unfortunately they are sort of caught between a rock and a hard place from a liability factor. So many will be very proactive and overly cautious in an effort to catch those few women who truly will have difficulty. Unfortunately that has meant unnecessary risks for the others.

Do your research... discuss what you find with your doctor to get his input... weigh the pros and cons of both birth options and decide what you are most comfortable with.
    CrissyDi Posts: 250, Reputation: 5

May 30, 2009, 06:53 PM

If your doctor is strongly recommending it, then it doesn't sound very "elective" to me. Technically you have to sign off on a c-section no matter the condition. (My friend had a pen and paper shoved in her face while they were setting her up to be wheeled off to the operating room.)

No matter what, it's your choice. No one wants to sign up for major surgery... but we all have to way our options while pregnant, delivering, and beyond. Life is full of these tough choices, but there is something inside us that leads and guides us to what is right. Listen to that inner voice.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2009, 02:53 AM

I understand your desire to deliver vaginally, but I just think you should follow your doc's advise

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Elective foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

If I can qualify for a new, lower mortgage for a least expensive house, can I let the first home loan (larger) go back to the bank/mortgage under Michigan law? When the bank forecloses in Michigan I heard that you don't have to pay off the mortgage and if the house does sell, the mortgage company...

Section 8 [ 2 Answers ]

I am living with my mother in law, who is on section 8. I need to get my own place for my daughter and I. can I apply while living with somebody already on it?

Section 8 [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how you can get section 8. I was woundering how long it takes and also if you had to have good credit or what it requires! Can someone please tell me a little about this?

Section 8 [ 4 Answers ]

I just started renting on section 8 two years ago in CT and now my landlord is charging me for having a washer and dryer in my unit. He never discussed this and the hook-ups were already in place in the unit. He said that I have to pay him but nothing is stated about that in my lease agreement. ...

W2 Elective Deferrals? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE! I am an Indian Citizen. I was on F1 visa from August 2002 - October, 2005 (on OPT from December 2004 - October, 2005) On H1B from October 1st, 2005 - Current. I do not meet the substantial presence test. As I understand from the previous threads, I should fill 1040 NR? And can Claim...

View more questions Search