Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rusig Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Was Told Capacitors (Phase Shifters) Were Running Low and Need to be Replaced?
    Thanks to everyone who helped me get my upstairs AC going! My down stairs unit froze up once this year so I had a tech come out to check it. He added some freon to the unit and told me that the unit was in pretty bad shape and this I should consider replacing the whole unit. This AC unit is a Comfortmaker with forced air heat. He said that the condenser in the air handler was rusty (which it is a little rusty). He also said that the phase shifter (capacitor) in that unit was suppose to be putting out 7.5uf but was only putting out 6.1uf and the capacitor or phase shifter in the outside unit was rated to put out 35/3uf but was only putting out 28/2.8uf. He suggested that I replace both for a total cost of $470.00!!

I obviously declined the service. My question is should I replace these capicators or are they fine like they are? Will they cause any problems with the fans or compressor running a little low like they are now? I have seen several of the capacitors on the internet at very reasonable prices, does anyone know of a great place to purchase replacements if I need them?

Thanks in advance!
    hvacgal Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 28, 2009, 03:00 PM

Hiya,

First off why did the tech add Freon and walk away.. Freon does not just evaporate into thin air... if it was low it means A. it was undercharged a long time ago or B. it has a leak in the system and requires fixing A.S.A.P. if not there is no use in you putting a new capacitor in it at all... it will end up losing the charge anyway and damaging the compressor. More info required to answer your question...

May 28, 2009, 03:30 PM

The tech said that it could be leaking some freon where in the air handler. I think he said he added a couple of lbs to it. I'm pretty sure the unit hadn't been serviced in at least 5 years. From the way he put it, it was on its last leg, but then he said he wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't back out here next year to add more freon.

May 28, 2009, 04:26 PM
    It is pretty bad that he did not repair the leak at the air handler and instead chose to replace the freon. As of Dec. 2009 it will be harder to get R22 which is what you have I assume in your unit.

My advice to you is to consider getting a new unit but try a different company than the one you called out. A lot of times you can find guys to do it cash in hand... just ask around saves big time on money. I only suggest this because of the following reasons..

1. if the unit is leaking it will continue to leak and eventually will run out of enough freon to cause damage to the compressor. When this happens it will cost you more money to recover the refrigerant in the system as it is rising in price to dispose of the old R22. Also as the refrigerant leaks the efficiency of your unit will go down. It will demand more on your unit causing it to run longer and thus use more energy.

2. if your unit is old fixing it will only mend the problem but as of Dec. you will eventually have to convert over anyway so you will spend more money in the long run.

3. Freon is not environmentally friendly and if your unit is leaking it is leaking inside the house... it means you and your family are ingesting the freon as it leaks.

But I am a fourth year apprentice so you may want to try HVAC1000 I have read a lot of his posts and he sounds like he has been in the business for years and is very wise :0). Hope this helps you out...
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 06:58 PM

$470 to replace 2 capasitors?? The indoor one cost $7 and the outdoor one $35 and as for the freon, if your unit is that old and you are not ready to break down to get a new unit yet. Have them put in a can of super seal and see if it stops your leak.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacgal View Post
    it is pretty bad that he did not repair the leak at the air handler and instead chose to replace the freon. As of Dec. 2009 it will be harder to get R22 which is what you have I assume in your unit.

My advice to you is to consider getting a new unit but try a different company than the one you called out. A lot of times you can find guys to do it cash in hand... just ask around saves big time on money. I only suggest this because of the following reasons..

1. if the unit is leaking it will continue to leak and eventually will run out of enough freon to cause damage to the compressor. when this happens it will cost you more money to recover the refrigerant in the system as it is rising in price to dispose of the old R22. Also as the refrigerant leaks the efficiency of your unit will go down. It will demand more on your unit causing it to run longer and thus use more energy.

2. if your unit is old fixing it will only mend the problem but as of Dec. you will eventually have to convert over anyway so you will spend more money in the long run.

3. Freon is not environmentally friendly and if your unit is leaking it is leaking inside the house...it means you and your family are ingesting the freon as it leaks.

but I am a fourth year apprentice so you may want to try HVAC1000 I have read a lot of his posts and he sounds like he has been in the business for years and is very wise :0). Hope this helps you out...
    Two pounds of freon leaking in to a house over a 1 year will not hurt any one(dont do the scare tactics). If freon is added then yes you have a problem, but that small amount is not going to hurt you or your family(not a chance).Yes I would replace the run capacitors if the readings are low take it to any hvac dealer or suplier have it tested if its bad buy it at a fraction of the cost. Its not the part that cost, its knowing what part is bad and how to instal it that cost.

May 29, 2009, 01:06 PM

I've never heard of death by freon poisoning, but I guess anything is possible.

Yeah, they wanted $258 to replace the outdoor capacitor and $212 to replace the indoor capacitor. That sounded way to expensive to me.

The unit was probably a cheap unit to begin with, it's a Comfort Maker. But its only 10 years old, one would think its suppose to last longer than that. I know people that have had AC units for 20+ years with no major issues.

We use to put stop leak in car AC systems all the time so I don't see why that might not work for my unit as well. I just need to find someone to do it that's not going to burn me up. Do you think I should wait a month or two and that way we can see how back its leaking? If I get that done and replace those capacitors I should be good to go for awhile... hopefully!!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2009, 01:56 PM

If they are going to chage you that much for the capasitors, and the unit works now I would not replace them. Or you can do it yourself for under $50, and a can of super seal cost $80

May 29, 2009, 10:55 PM

I read a few horror stories about Super Seal HVACR. I think I'll try to get a guy over here to find the leak first, if that doesn't work then maybe use the Super Seal as a last resort.

May 30, 2009, 09:04 PM

No you can not die from freon. However it is not legal to leave a leak at least not here in Canada. And secondly it isn't found in nature so it is not good to ingest. You can fix the unit yourself by replacing the capacitors and save the service charge. Good luck with this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 phase motor running on 1 phase? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a 3 phase motor be wired to run like a 1 phase? We've got a 3 phase motor and the motor starter has only L1 and a L3 with both to voltages to ground of 120v

Replaced wiring on well water was running now none [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the wiring on the well pump and changed the capacitor box in the basement the water was running beautifully mnow it stopped what could this be? Water pressure tank says zero

How am I going to size my 3 phase X'mer with 1 phase load using current as reference [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Peping: I have 90 pieces of single phase loads with current of 2 Amperes. This will be loaded to a 3 phase transformer, Wye connected having a line to line voltage of 220 Volts. What will be the size of the transformer required for the mentioned loads? Many thanks, Peping

Running 220 single phase from generator? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a wood planer. The id plate on the motor tells me it is 3 hp wired 220 single phase. The planer plug has three prongs on it. I plan to use this in my shop. My shop is powered with a 7000 watt generator. My generator has 220v but it has a 4 prong plug. CAn I change the plug on...

95 civic main relay replaced; ran initially now not running again [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 95 Civic, engine turns but won’t start. Initially CEL remained on and fuel pump was not heard. Car sat and a few days later started, fuel pump was heard, and CEL did not stay on. Next day the car did not start as before and decision was made to replace the main relay. Car...

View more questions Search