Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rony4431 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2009, 02:53 AM
    Cannot download anti virus software
    On trying to down load mcafee anti virus software, I get the message:- Having trouble installing Mcafee Software because JAVASCRIPT is not working correctly on your PC,
    Can anyone help

rony4431
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 04:53 AM

You can try to turn Javascript on. In Internet Explorer under Tools | Options | Web Features (Windows) or Tools | Internet Options | Advanced, (depending on which version of Internet Explorer you have), there is a long list of features. Make sure Enable Java and/or Enable Javascript are checked.

The second way to try to fix it is to go to Add/Remove programs and remove all versions of Java. Then go to java.com: Java Download and download the newest version of Java and install that.

Lastly, this is a very common symptom of a virus or another malware infection. You need to scan the machine and clean up any malware it finds. I suggest going to Malwarebytes.org and downloading Malwarebytes. It's free and it works where many others do not.

Before using that, however, I suggest downloading and using CCleaner (CCleaner - Home) to get rid of temporary files that will cause false positives using Malwarebytes.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 07:58 PM

I can't get McAfee to install, have Java enabled and have no viruses. I haven't been able to get it to install since some version ago or other. If it wants to make things that difficult on me, then I don't care about it. I don't use it and I don't use Norton. They are both troublesome if you ask me. Not to mention that viruses like to target them.

If I might suggest, free:
    avast! Virus Cleaner - free virus removal tool
    AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Real-time protection against viruses, spyware and malicious websites

I use Avast myself and love it. Nothing has bothered it. It doesn't bother me. It's unobtrusive. (It is right now catching a false positive, but nothing's perfect.)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    I can't get McAfee to install, have Java enabled and have no viruses. I haven't been able to get it to install since some version ago or other.
    Although I normally don't recommend McAfee, I will recommend an uninstaller. Revo Uninstaller is free for personal use:

Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs, Solve uninstall problems

It has several "levels" of uninstall. The simplest is the same as running uninstall from Add/Remove Programs. The most extensive will search the registry for junk left behind, and also search the disk for files left behind. You then have the option to delete them.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 08:19 PM

Actually I have the old McAfee uninstaller program. That was the old 95 version and I use it on my other computer. McAfee used to make some decent stuff (before they got too big for their britches).

I haven't thought about an uninstaller program since then. Maybe I'll check that out. :-)

(I usually "uninstall" all the pieces by just totally wiping the computer a couple of times a year. :D)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Computer slowing down dramatically, Anti-Virus Software doesn't appear to be working [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, I have AVG anti virus software and Super Anti Spyware (both free) loaded on my Win XP machine. When I run them they seem to constantly pick up spyware etc. But after I clean up what they find it is still running very slow. Even to open a browser is slow. Can anyone help me out as to...

Is It BEST to purchase an Anti-Virus Software than Downloading from the Net [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is the problem. I just got a new laptop more than a week ago and I'm currently running it on Windows Vista, basically I really want to protect my computer from viruses. My question is, what's better? Purchasing an Anti-Virus software OR Downloading from the Net?. Right now I'm not...

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

Automatic download of virus software [ 6 Answers ]

Please, is there anyone who can put me out of my misery?? I have got an icon in the bottom right of my screen (red dot with white cross) which tells me I have a virus and that it will now download the latest software to combat this. There is also a yellow triangle that pops up every now and then ...

Anti-Virus download problems [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has an older Dell PC with Windows98SE and has been unable to download any of the free anti-virus or anti-spyware programs (which I have downloaded on my newer WinXP PC). When attempting to download nothing happens - no error message, etc. Any help will be appreciated. Jlh

View more questions Search