Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    african-queen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Talk or walk?
    Hi crew!
    My new man friend + I are bad communicators.
    How can we talk about difficult stuff?
    A guy tried to chat me up at a bar + he got really upset, with me.
    We didn't talk about it + even though we are close + involved, we have never broached the subject of where we are.
    We spend a weekend together, all the time + don't talk for a day or two afterwards.
    Do we talk or do I walk?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 12:40 AM
    Well, start talking about your feelings, your dreams, your hopes.
    Talk about the things you like and dislike.
    Talk about books, movies, sport and politics.
    Talk about your childhoods and families.
    Talk about your day, what you did and who you spoke to.

The trick is to listen while the other person is talking (I mean really listen - don't be waiting to speak) and ask questions - be genuinely interested.

Don't only talk when there is something difficult to say or to confront.

Talk to each other as if you like each other and have a desire to find out who you really are.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 02:03 PM

It's hard to say whether you can mend this communication issue, you'll have to just try and see if it works.

If you know something has bothered him though, that you have done, it might be best for you to broach the subject and address it head-on.

For example, "Dave, I would guess that it might have made you feel uncomfortable with that guy approached me at the bar. I just wanted to let you know, I don't feel it's appropriate to be rude if someone shows an interest in me - it's flattering. But I did tell him I am with you, and I turned down his offer of a drink. I would do the same if you were not there - I'd let the guy know I have a boyfriend and politely decline."

You might also mention to him that the silence between you is of concern, and ask if he has suggestions for both of you to get more comfortable speaking up. This is a lot better than being accusatory like, "hey, you don't say anything - it's so annoying!" Let him know your goal is to be closer, but that you think that communication between you needs to increase and see whether he'll work with you on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old doesn't talk or walk [ 5 Answers ]

[Hi, I have a 3yr old son who doesn't talk and has only started walking with the aide of a grandpa frame. He has had all different test done but will still don't have any answers. He's a very lovable boy and understands every thing you say to him, can any one help me. Regards Nicole

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

What should I do to make my daughter walk and talk? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was born on Dec. 22, 2007. She's 1 yr 4 months now. She still can't talk, she only mumbles. I mean she wants to talk but the words coming out of her mouth cannot be understood. When she walks, she always fall and she always want something to held on to. What should I do to make her walk...

Talk and walk [ 1 Answers ]

How do I teach a child to talk and walk

All talk but no walk [ 1 Answers ]

When I talk to my finance I say s things like ill get better or ill do it or sorry but I say things but don't have the actions to prove it, I mean what I say but I don't do what I say and I don't know how to express myself and I don't know how to make the words come out right I don't think before a...

View more questions Search