Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tino81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 05:30 PM
    HIPAA law on confidentiality
    I am wondering if it is a hipaa violation for a sleep study agency to disclose sensitive iformation regarding myself to my 12 year old son, and if so what is my legal recourse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2009, 05:42 PM

Did they call your home and tell him on the phone or was he standing there while you did your study? Give us details how this happened,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2009, 10:14 AM

Need more info - how the info was conveyed, what info was conveyed.
    Tino81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2009, 09:39 AM

The information was given to my son over the phone, even though my son explained who he was and gave the sleep study agency my cell phone number
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2009, 09:41 AM

Your legal recourse is to report this as a violation of HIPAA - if the information harmed your relationship with your son and you suffered emotional damages (or he did) I "suppose" there's a lawsuit for that - but, quite frankly, I don't see it.

Health Information Privacy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confidentiality Agreement author [ 1 Answers ]

How can I find out who authored Rob Lowe's confidentiality agreement? I know who represented him in court, but how can I track down the details of the actual agreement and the attorney behind that?

Pharmacists Confidentiality [ 11 Answers ]

Hello I just had a question, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask it, but do pharmacists have confidentiality laws? Is it illegal for them to tell others what you have purchased?

Confidentiality violation of rights [ 5 Answers ]

I called the numan resource department to ask about how to get assistance with a transfer to a different state. A couple of days later, my immedite supervisor casualy mentioned he heard I might be moving to Atlanta. It was not his business and I was just seeking information when I contacted HR. ...

View more questions Search